Chapter twenty two

Susan's POV

The evening didn't go as I expected, it was much more fabulous. The new house, the dinner, this place and now a new ring along with a pure declaration of love. What more could I ask for. This well perfectly sculptured adonis of a man just said he loves me, this is scary and exciting.

He pulled back from our clinging session, he's eyes softens, lightly lingering on my lips.
"It's getting late, I need to get you home. Don't want your father chaperoning on us until we are married." he said, smirking at the thought of that. I giggled finding it funny.

Gathering the remaining fruits, we walked down the path we came from. Reaching the car, Ray kept the basket and blankets at it's former position, opened the door for me. He drove us back to my house.

"Have you bought your wedding suit." I asked, starting a conversation to keep the drive lively.
"Not yet, I and Matt will do that tomorrow."
"Okay."
"Can I ask you something." I questioned.
"You just did." he retorted, smiling.

Smart ass, "You know what I mean." I countered.
"Yeah, sure." he glanced at me and stared back at the road.
"When you said you have been in love with me for a long time, when was that."

"Oh, that, em...em..., that was before I left for Spain." he stuttered, gripping the steering wheel tightly.
Seeing that the topic made him uncomfortable, I left it at that.
"Susan, I fell in love with you the moment I saw you at that welcome party your parents organised ten years ago." he continued.

"Then I didn't know what I felt but as I grew up, I understood that it was love all along. People say I'm uptight, self-centered, arrogant and a lot of things. I didn't care what the thought about me but I was more concerned on what you thought."

"When I made the proposal to your father for your hand in marriage, I made it my life's mission to show you the real me. The person the media never knew existed. Matt was the only person I am myself with, before Lizzy Matt's girlfriend, now you."

"I know that through you, others will get to know me for me not just what is written in the media and all. I know I can be an asshole and strict but I had to change for you." he clarifies, staring forward at the road. I didn't know how he felt but his emotions are literally building up inside the car.

Placing my hand on his thigh, I smiled at him which released a lot of his tension. "I don't care about those things." he raised an eyebrow, "well I did think about them but not anymore. I love you the way you are." squeezing his thigh lightly.

He smiled at that, muttering a thank you. He arrived at my house. We got out but he stopped me from going any further, pulling me to his chest. Sucking in a breath, he kissed my lips softly "I need to go home and you need to tell your father that the marriage is no longer based on contract but on feeling now."

"I will still partner with him but as his son in law not as some man that married his daughter." he stated, his eyes glittering softly.
"Okay."
"Good night and sweet dreams, princess. I love you, never forget that."
"I love you too." I whispered on his lips.

Kissing him one last time, we parted ways. Him entering his car and drove off, me going into the house with the intention of telling my father the good news. I opened the door, entering inside, all the excitement and jitteriness inside of me deflected when I saw the smiling faces of none other than Gideon and his delusional son Scott.

What they hell are they doing here, I thought. Is there a meeting that I wasn't aware of or something. My parents looking dejected, Jayden's furiously glaring at Gideon and Scott. My friends scowling faces. "What the hell is happening here." I yelled voicing my thought.