xxii. the first battle

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑾𝑶
❝ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒃𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

WITH THE THUNDERING APPROACH OF THE orcs, Vera had no choice but to let go of Legolas' wrist

WITH THE THUNDERING APPROACH OF THE orcs, Vera had no choice but to let go of Legolas' wrist. They exchange a swift look of understanding, glancing down at their hands, before moving to arm themselves. Legolas takes stead at the front with Boromir and Aragon, preparing for the battle that awaits, weapon at the ready.

Vera rushes forward, with Boromir on her trail, to close the door, but yelps when an arrow hit the door, millimeters away from her head, followed by another. Giving Boromir a surprised look, she quickly closes the door after catching sight of a thousand goblins coming for them, joined with a cave-troll. As soon as the door is secured, Vera leaves to help the Hobbits, who have been ushered back by Aragorn.

"They have a cave-troll! A damned cave-troll!" Vera gasps out, taking her bow and arrow ready as she notches an arrow and waits nervously. She catches sight of Gimli climbing over his cousin's tomb with two dwarf axes.

Vera takes a breath as she realizes this is her first battle. On land, and ever. Despite the immense amount of training she had to go through under the ocean and in the walls of Imladris, she never expected to have to face battle so soon. She knew there was a war coming but she didn't quite comprehend that battles would come along the way, as well. Steadying her beating heart for the sake of the Hobbits, she hardens her gaze and stays cold and still, ready for the beasts that come.

Like a switch, Vera's entire demeanor changed. As she waited, she could feel all the worries waving in like a tsunami. She couldn't let herself be distracted, or she would lose her life, and Atlantis their Queen. Vera adjusts her posture as she stands guard in front of the Hobbits, who hold their swords out bravely. Her gaze turns blank and expressionless, as the warrior within her finally comes out to play.

Gandalf notices the change next to him and risks a glance. Vera wasn't herself, at the moment, but she was entirely and utterly herself, at the same time. As confusing as it was, Gandalf realizes that this is the face of a warrior of the sea, determined to protect her people and her friends from the dangers that await. He had seen that same face on his dear friend once, Marella.

The adrenaline rushing through her veins don't seem to pause, only pushing her to embrace the new challenge willingly and better. She doesn't think, shutting her brain out completely from any irrational thinking. Her own feä seems hesitant to fight but being hardwired and created for the very use of protecting her people and the hroä, it rages onwards with every intention of slaying a beast that walks in her path.