xxix. dangerous rendezvous

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬
❝ 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒛𝒗𝒐𝒖𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA ADELAIDE NUZZLES FURTHER INTO HER cot, trying to gather as much comfort and heat in the coldness of the night and the wintry feel of the air

VERA ADELAIDE NUZZLES FURTHER INTO HER cot, trying to gather as much comfort and heat in the coldness of the night and the wintry feel of the air. The cot she is benefitted with doesn't seem to appease her, which results in her teeth chattering against each other.

They have been riding on the water for hours before nightfall descended, and they were forced to retire at the banks of the river. The boats have been settled down, and they have readied themselves for bed after having a brisk dinner of silence and quiet munching. Vera had managed to retrieve her place on the boat after being dumped on the river by her dear friend.

Huffing aggravatingly, Vera stands from her spot and briskly dodges her friends' sleeping figures, before making her way to Sam and Frodo, who have been talking quietly. Thankful to her keen ears, Vera could hear their conversation from her spot and found herself distracted. So, she decides to join in on the discussion.

"You haven't eaten anything all day. You're not sleeping, neither. Don't think I haven't noticed," she heard Sam say to Frodo, his voice holding worry for his friend.

Vera frowns at the statement; she has been keeping an eye on Frodo herself. She has noticed that he wouldn't eat or sleep for days now, only keeping quiet and speaking when spoken to. She could see him slipping, the ring tainting his soul more and more as days pass. It seems the burden and the heaviness of the one ring brought Frodo more gloom, and no matter how resilient his heart is, she fears that he would slide into the darkness setting out from the ring. His soul is tainting. His light is diminishing.

Vera, herself, felt her feä weaken as more and more days pass with the ring being so close. She has, admittedly, been distancing herself from Frodo because of the burden he carries. Her feä is growing weaker, as the darkness of the ring reaches out towards every source of light, and as her role, it seems to seek her light more than anyone else's. The grief and sorrow surrounding her only attracted it more.

Vera could feel her mind and spirit cripple with more time passing. She didn't need her friends to worry about her, as more things seem to pass in their journey to keep all of the members anxious about what awaits in the future. She found out the effects of the ring after accidentally touching it while brushing a leaf from Frodo's neck and subsequently placing her forefinger on the golden circle.

She staggered back in pain as the darkness surged her entire being and contorted her form and mind with anguish. Legolas had to restrain her hands to keep from harming herself as she wrestles viciously to carve her heart out. When she had gotten out of her trance, she had given off another reason for the tantrum but kept away from Frodo. She assured her friends that there isn't anything to worry about, and with everything going on, they believed her. Well, most of them, anyway.