Bet

~chapter four~

Melody

I walk up to Kate and Aliya talking and they turn to acknowledge me. "So you do listen" Kate smiles then turns to Ali and hold out her hand, Ali takes out a twenty dollar bill and slaps it in Kate's hand.

"A bet? Seriously?" I ask shaking my head, I got a text this morning for Kate instructing me on what to wear and surprise surprise I listen.

The bell rings warning us to get to our first lesson which is English again for me.

I walk into lesson to find Karter already in, my eyes land on him and he watches me approach my seat. At least he sees me this time and apparently he's not the only one attention I have.

I sit and take out my books as the teacher walks in. I look over at Karter to see him focused on the teachers lectures.

He's got such as angular jaw it's unbelievable, is that long lashes is see? Why does he have to be this good looking and hate me? Now I kinda wanna punch myself for being me.

My eyes drop to his hands playing with a pen and I can't help smile a little, imagine those hands as a necklace? Okay I need to stop, what the hell is wrong with me?

I think he notices my gaze as he looks over at me, I shift my eyes to the board trying to make it look as natural as possible. I don't want him catching me staring now.

The bell rings dismissing us and I pack my bag leaving immediately, I go to my locker swapping my binders and books.

After two more long lessons it's finally lunch and I go find Kate and Ali sitting in the cafeteria, I sit down and take my lunch out.

I see my joggers that I forgot I put in my bag still sitting there. Kate start talking about boys and shopping as usual and Ali cracks some jokes.

With only fifteen minutes left of lunch Cal comes up to our table sitting in between Kate and I "Hey ladies" he shines his player smile.

"Great" I hear Ali mumble, Aliya's never been a fan of the football team because of her past with them.

"Hey Cal" Kate smiles, Katlin on the other hand is totally mesmerized by them especially Cal.

"There's a small party today after school, one of the guys birthday. You guys should come." He says and I feel his hand rest on my knee under the table.

I look up at Ali and blink twice (a little code we made if ever we're uncomfortable and can't say anything) then do the same with Kate.

"Hands were I can see them buddy" Aliya snaps in an almost a threatening tone. Cal gives her a cheeky smile trying to play it off.

He takes his hands off my knee and hold them up like he's surrendering "Easy" he says.

"We'll try make it" Kate smiles and Cal gets up.

"Good to hear" he says then makes his way back to the guys table. I look back to see Karter watching us and our eyes meet, my heart flutters a little which is new to me.

"So are we going?" Kate asks.

"No" I reply "i mean, it's the start of the week, I don't think I can handle a drunk Kate"

"What was the distress call about?" Aliya asks but the bell rings saving me, we stand and start going our separate ways.

I wander off to the bathroom before the second bell can ring. Aliya catches me in my path and give me a look "Melody" she warns which is not good.

First of all she said my full name not my nickname making whatever she wants to know serious, second of all her tone tells me I better not lie about it.

"He had his hand on my thigh" I say I'm a low hush.

"That asshole!" She says and we walk into class together "I could totally slap him if you want"

"We're a bunch of 5'6 and under girls making us ants in the eyes of them" I smile at her.

"Imma go down with a fight" she laughs.

The rest of our lesson goes by pretty fast as we spend that time talking about boys and our next plans to hangout. It's finally last lesson meaning history.

I go change into my joggers just to be a little comfortable for the rest of the day and feel much better.

I kinda don't want to go because I don't want to see his face, I don't want to get butterflies for reasons I can not comprehend. But I go anyways.

He's already sitting in his normal seat a row behind me and I sit next to Ross and great him with a small smile. "Hey you going to Cal's party?" He asks as I sit.

"Why, who's going?" I ask.

"Cal, Micheal, Kai, Liam..." he keeps naming guys but at this point I've zoned out "...Oh and Karter, you know the new kid"

"Oh I know" I mumble to myself.

"So you coming?" He asks.

"Umm"

"You can go with me- I mean we can go together...as friends" he adds.

"I don't think so" I tell him.

"Oh c'mon"

"I'll let you know if I change my mind" I say then the teacher hushes us. The rest of lesson consists of me debating whether or not I should look back at Karter until lesson is over.

I go up to Kate and Ali to say goodbye and Kate's face drops when she looks at me "What happened to your skirt?!" She almost shrieks.

"It's in my bag" I say.

"Well well well" I can hear the satisfaction in Aliya's voice, she turns to Kate and holds out her hand "pay up bitch" she smiles and Kate smacks it in her hand rolling her eyes.

"Ridiculous" I chuckle then walk away.