Panic

~chapter forty nine~

Melody

Benedict looks over at Karter then at me, I cross my arms mirroring Karter. "Oh he's just mad cause I slept with his brother, it was quit the love triangle."

When I don't respond she just examines me "You are quite the pretty face, Karter sure knows how to pick 'em." She says sitting back "Can I have some?" She nods to my bag of Skittles.

Karter gives me a look but I give them to her anyways. "Heard the whole 'human who makes me feel alive' speech and I thought it was really touchy. I never got anything like that, I think you got the best version of him." She says.

At this point she's the only one talking. "You know being ignored isn't fun, makes me want to snap someone's neck." She looks over at me.

"I will rip your heart out if you touch her." Karter say protectively.

"Don't flatter yourself, I'd never kill someone who doesn't have a bright future." I scoff at the comment "You think it's funny?"

"I think it's cute. Must be why your still alive." I catch her by surprise, Karter has a sly smile as he looks out the window.

After a few hours of sleep my eyes flutter open but I hear Karter and Benedict talking so I keep them closed for a while and listen in.

"I don't even understand, you can't reach your full potential with her. She holds you back and you can't even see that." Benedict says.

"Can you just shut up." Karter shushes her "You'll wake her."

"I was never treated like this and I gave you everything."

"You cheated on me, twice. I did nothing but treat you like a queen and you took my own crown shattered it to pieces and stabbed me in the back. I'm not letting you tag along willingly, if I find out your useless I'll kill you myself...and make sure your actually dead."

What a treat, I have no idea what happened between them but by the looks of things Karter isn't buying the dream Benedict is selling. If he doesn't trust her neither should I.

They fall silent and I take my chance to sit up. "Rise and shine sleeping beauty." Benedict rolls her eyes then leaves, I start to crack my fingers keeping my eyes glued to my lap.

I take my hair out letting it fall passing my shoulders. I look out the window watching the green fields pass us by and the city behind it. We're getting closer to wherever we're going.

My hands start to shake and I close them into fist, I tug on the front of my hoodie as I feel myself heat up and start sweating. I look up at Karter to see he's watching my shaky hands.

"I er, I need to toilet." I get up a little too fast and feel a rush of dizziness but still continue on. I reach the back of the moving train and enter the bathroom locking myself in.

I can feel my heart rate go up by the second as I gasp for air as my throat tightens, I drop in my knees trying to gasp for air. I take deep breath throughly nose and out my mouth.

I close my eyes and find myself banging on the ground really violently "Ten..." I whisper to myself trying to calm myself down "it's just a panic attack, I'll get thr-" I bang myself again.

"Melody?" I hear Karter's concerned voice outside and I hit myself again but harder unintentionally "Melody open the door." He gives me a firm command but I can't even bring my self to stand.

"...nine..." I picture a beautiful cotton candy sunset and swing hitting something wood like but I can't tell what it is, a cupboard maybe? "..eight..."

I hear the door open and someone grabs my hands, my first instinct is to dig my nails into them and kick them away as hard as I can.

"Oww" I hear an agonizing groan and my eyes fling open, Karter sits opposite me with a bloody mouth and I rush to him.

"Are you okay? Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I didn't mean too hit-" I go to hit the ground aggressively but Karter puts his hands down first and I end up hitting him. "Seven!"

He grabs my hands again this time keeping a good grip, I try to break free but he doesn't let me. "Tell me what your thinking about."

"Sunsets," I breath in "they're pretty." I breath out a shaky breath.

"Yes they are."

"I have gum," I try break free "six." I pant then Karter fishes in my pockets with one hand taking out the packet of gum unwrapping one and putting it in my mouth, I chew down hard trying to take my mind off things.

My heartbeat starts to slow down going at a normal past "five...four..three, two, one." I whisper to myself and my hands stop shaking.