Lightening

~chapter sixteen~

Melody

I watch his jaw clench as I think he's deciding his words wisely. "There was this girl, she was my everything and I tried to give her everything but that was almost one hundred years ago" he says.

"What happened to her?" I ask.

"She died changing for me" he says and I find myself stuck speechless "I wanted to change because my brother was already a vampire but she didn't want too, should have respected that"

"But I didn't, I always brought it up and begged her to spend eternity with me and when it finally came down to it, she said she'd do it for me. She didn't survive the venom." He finishes.

"I-I'm Sorry" I now understand why he didn't want to talk about it.

"Like I said it was a hundred years ago" he looks at me. The faint sound of raindrops on the roof covers the silence as his eyes pierce mine, imagine he leans in to kiss me.

Okay I need to stop this dangerous game of thinking about him when he's not even two feet's away from me. "I've never asked um, but eating...what's it like for you?"

I mentally slap my forehead for that dumb question, what the hell do you think?! He smirks sitting up and I find myself sitting up too. "My brother takes me too this club where I feed" he says.

I sit next to him on the edge of the bed "I could um, let you drink every once in a while" I suggest looking over at him, his eyes go red just looking at me.

"I wouldn't let you be my personal blood bag" he shakes his head.

"I mean I see an opportunity where I can help," I turn and cross my legs "your telling me you really want to be hungry in a class room full of blood bags?"

"I can't" he says.

"I'm just trying to help"

"You don't know what you getting yourself into"

"Okay," I nod "let's make a pinky promise" I hold up my pinky and he just watches me "come on" I urge and he hesitates but puts his hand up and our pinky's slowly intwines.

"Okay" I smile no longer able to hold it back "I promise you that I will never use this against you in an argument, no stings attached. I will never hang this over your head." I promise him.

"Is it my turn?" He asks.

"You want to promise me something?" I tease.

"I just want to protect you" he says firmly.

"A little aggressive," I make him smile "we just have to kiss it"

"Since when?"

"Have you ever made a pinky promise?"

"No."

"So then you wouldn't know" I check him "it's my addition" I tell him.

"Right." He does the cutest eye roll I've ever seen yet.

"Just kiss it" I tell him and he lifts his hand to his hips and I do the same, I kiss the back of my thumb and I watch him do the same. "There we go" I let go of his pinky.

The thunder rages out side and my head turn into the direction of the window "Lightning" I jump up and make my way to window.

"That was thunder" I feel Karter's presence behind me, he gives me a hug from behind sending electricity through my body. His arms warp around my waist pulling me closer to him.

"Yeah but, lightening is always followed by thunder" I try concentrating on watching out for the lightning instead of the feeling of Karter against me. A big spark of energy light the sky and then thunder follows it. "See"

I hear a soft but short chuckle escape him and I cross my arms resting them on top of his. Another lightning strikes creating baby electricity surrounding it.

"Why didn't you get on the bus?" Karter's husky voice says.

"When?" I ask.

"Earlier today" he loosens his grip around me then spins me around so we meet face to face, he moves hair out the way of my neck.

"I guess I have reasons to stay" I tell him and feel a sharp pain in my neck "ow" I whisper to myself and then relax in him arms "running away not my thing" I try distract myself from feeling so faint.

"I'm not very fast" I start to see black dots blocking my vision and I realize he's gonna drain me if he doesn't stop "Karter" I try warn him and my knees give in making my drop in his arms.

Me dropping probably surprise him by the way he rushes down with me "Here" he says and a blurry vision of him bitting into him self occurs, I feel his forearm against my lips and I suck on the dripping blood.