Over a week

~chapter thirty eight~

Melody

My whole body goes into shock form his three words. I feel my lips move but nothing comes out as I'm totally speechless. "W-what?"

"It's the only way to be sure that your safe and out of harms way, I need to know your okay at all times and I can't do that if your not close by." He explains.

"Um," I can't even find the right words at his point "I can't...what about school? Or graduation or prom?"

"You'll get all that."

"Not if I'm on the run. What about my dad? I can't leave him. What about my friends? What am I suppose to tell them? And what happens when Tiago starts looking for me."

"Your rambling."

"No I'm not. I'm trying to tell you that I can't go. I won't." I look up to his soft eyes looking down at me, he looks devastated like I just- I don't know.

"I wasn't expecting that." He says and I sit quite not knowing what to say "Kinda thought you were going to come but I let my emotions clout my judgment."

"What do you mean by that?"

"It doesn't matter." He stands up with the ball in hand.

"Wait!" I follow him "We're not breaking up are we?" My eyes sting waiting for an answer.

"We're going at our own paste."

"Where are you going?" I get in the car with him. He drives us to him house with nothing but silence all the way there. I follow him inside and up to his room.

Turns out it's the dark room with a desk, should have seen that coming. He takes out an already packed duffel bag and put it on his bed. "When are you leaving?"

"Tonight."

"But, how will I contact you?"

"Don't. It's too dangerous." He empty's the duffel back that's filled with wooden weapons. He spreads them out putting them into neat categories. "Here."

He hands me a gun, I take it with hesitation. I don't even know how to use it. It's heavy, making me almost drop it.

"The bullets are cover with an herb that will weaken a vampire giving you enough time to run, if you need too."he explains.

"I don't even know how to use a gun." I tell him putting the gun down.

A knock comes at the open door getting both our attention, Bradly stands in the doorframe and give Karter a nod indicating something then walks away.

"You need to go home." Karter says putting everything back into his back including the gun he gave me. He leaves the bag in his room and leads me out and starts walking me home.

He stops at my gate and I turn half expecting him to follow. When he doesn't I slowly walk up to him, I cup his face with both hands as he looks down at me.

I tip toe to reach his lips as I feel one of his hand on my lower back pulling me closer as our lips move together. I pull away opening my eyes to look into his "Come back to me." I whisper to him.

"Please." I laugh softly then we fall silent looking into each others eyes "be careful." I let go and walk away.

I turn to see he's no longer there.
•••
"What about this one?" Kate picks up another prom dress. I shake my head no "Your right, blue isn't good."

Prom is this Saturday and I'm not really in the mood to go mainly because I haven't seen or even heard anything from Karter in a week and a half.

"I can't believe it," Ali says and Kate and I turn to her "we're gonna graduation this Friday and then prom and then that it."

"Don't say it like that, it's not like that." Kate says "This isn't just a high school click, we're sisters and family never forget each other."

"We'll go to each other's weddings and our kids will fall in love with each other. This can't be it." I add.

"It isn't." Kate smile "Now can we stop being sentimental and pick some dresses?" She makes Ali and I laugh.

We pick out our dresses then head out the shop to get some food. "So how's Karter?" Kate sits down with the bag of burgers in hand.

"I don't know." I take my burger and fries out the bag and eat a fri.

"I thought you said you guys left on good terms."

"We did."

"That took a turn." Ali comments and we start eating up. We puts our bags in Kate's car because they're getting heavy to carry then make our way back into the mall on the hunt for shoes and accessories.