Absent

~chapter eighteen~

Melody

I make it back home and take a shower, I spend the next two hours with my dads lectures and talking. He asks questions and I avoid answering.

He even tell me he's debating whether or not he lets me out to see me friends, I debate really hard against his selfish ways and get my way. As usual. After I get ready I go outside and into Aliya's car.

"You alright?" Kate asks and I get into the back.

"Yeah" I put my seatbelt on. Last night I didn't get much sleep thinking about Karter, not in the making scenarios way but in the maybe he doesn't like me way.

I stay silent all the drive to the mall, we get out the car and start making our way to the nail salon. When we get in our seats are already free and I take the middle seat.

"Mel something's obviously on your mind" Kate says taking her seat "you haven't said a word since the car ride"

"I'm fine" I look up at her.

"Is this about the question?" She asks.

"Told you it would f things up" Aliya adds.

"Oh shut up Aliya" Kate snaps at her.

"I'm just saying," she shrugs "when am I ever wrong"

"Ain't no body ask you for your opinion" Kate shoots.

"Girl you better watch your damn mouth" Ali sits up.

"Okay guys" I interrupt "I'm going to ask him Monday" I say and they drop it.

"I'm getting Lilac" Kate changes the subject then the mood completely changes, Kate and Ali start talking again like they weren't about to rip each other's heads off.

I try enjoy the rest of my morning with them as I can. I get my pedicure and a manicure but nothing drastic.

"Do you guys wanna go back to mine and help me take my hair out?" I ask as we load the car with the new things Kate brought.

"I'm down, I gotta tell my ma though" Aliya says.

"Why not" Kate gets in and we start making our way back to my house.

When we get there dads not home yet so I get us some snacks then I go upstairs to join them, I sit on the floor as they get comfortable around me.
•••
I look at my clock that reads 9:00pm, I take my now natural hair, wet it then brush it into a low ponytail. I'm kinda grateful that Kate and Ali held me take it out.

I put my bonnet on then rest my head on my pillow. I put my ear plugs in and listen to my Billie Eilish until I drift off.

My alarm wakes my up at 07:00am and I go take a shower then get ready for school. In occasion to the hot weather I put on the cute summer dress Kate picked out for me not long ago.

I pair it with some black trainers and keep my hair in a low ponytail with my cute puffy bun at the back, I do my edges then put in some studs.

I rush downstairs to find my dad leaving "Stay safe" he shouts before closing the door behind him. I eat a bowl of cereal then take my bus to school.

I walk up to Kate and Ali who are doing there usual talks. "Hey"

"Hey gorgeous," Kate looks me up and down "your wearing a dress"

"I am" I smile.

"Makes your ass massive" Aliya says "you look good"

"Thank you" I say then the bell rings "I have English, I'll see you guys later" I slowly drift away from them and into the direction of my class.

My heart drops a little when I see Karter's seat's empty, what the hell? I make my way to my seat and sit down, I kinda feel empty now that his presence ain't here.

I look around my class but everything seems to be fine, our teacher walks in just as the second bell rings. He starts teaching us the new subject but I can't help but concentrate on the door.

I'm convinced Karter will walk in any minute now but that soon dies down then the lesson is over. I make my way to my second lesson which is history feeling as disappointed as the first time when his seat is empty.

I sit down next to Ross with a heavy heart, why am I feeling like this? I don't even know if he likes me and here I am sulking over the fact that he's it here.

I turn to see his empty seat behind me once again, I feel Ross' glance on my and look up at him. "He wasn't with us this morning either" he says.

"Huh" I face the front.

"Maybe he's ill" Ross suggests.

"Maybe" I say not fully convinced that a Vampire could get sick.

"Okay class, your projects are due this Friday so be prepared and ready" our history teacher says. Shit.