Broken turst

~chapter nineteen~

Melody

"Sir" I make my way to the front of my history teachers desk.

"Yes Melody how can I help you?" He says fixing a pile.

"What happens if your partner is absent but all the work is on their laptop?" I ask.

"Well that's a situation you don't want to be in. You'll lose marks for not presenting and lose marks for no proof" he says "why?"

"No reason," I shake my head "just a little curious that's all" I smile then leave the classroom.

I go to my last lesson before lunch then make my way to the cafeteria, I spot Kate kissing Cal which is quite unusual. I go up to them then clear my throat and they stop making out.

"I'll see you later baby" Cal says and gives Kate a last peck, I watch Cal go a little puzzled.

"Baby?" I sit down "what happened to just wanting some good dick?" I ask her.

"Well it's difficult, he's got a lot going on." She says as Ali comes around with some food.

"You guys talking about the Cal situation?" She puts the tray of food down.

"Weird right?" I say and she nods.

"You guys are one to talk" Kate rolls her eyes then takes some grapes off of Aliya's tray. "Anyways," she changes the subject "graduation is like three weeks away meaning prom is near"

"Prom" Ali sigh.

"What's wrong with prom?" Kate asks.

"Everything's wrong with prom" Ali reply's.

They both keep going about prom as I on the other hand keep taking food off the tray until all the grapes and the cookies are gone.

After lunch I go to my two last lesson which are music and chemistry, both of them bore me because we really don't have to be here. I just want to keep my attendance up.

I fill up my locker only taking the things that I need for homework or studying then zip my bag closed and start making my way to the bus stop. I take my phone and and stare at Karter's contact name.

Maybe he is sick? But since when do vampires get sick? Isn't there immune system dead or something? Well this is very confusing, I press home then go on my music app.

I can't help but make stupid scenarios of Karter and I in my head all the way home. I get my set of keys then unlock the door making my way inside.

"Melody?" I hear dad call from the kitchen I think.

"Yes" I follow his voice and find him sitting down on the kitchen stool drinking a bear, dad never drinks he says it's disgusting in every aspect. If I were to ever look for alcohol dad's room would be the last place I would check.

This house would be the last place I would check.

"I need to talk to you....sit down" he nods me over and I make my way to him parking myself opposite him still standing.

"Um what's there to talk about" I ask a little confused.

"We've drifted apart" he says.

"We've never been close" I correct him.

"I know that but ever since your mother died you haven't talked to me on a deeper level" he says leaving me a little speechless.

"I know you've got a lot going on with school and graduation is around the corner which means prom is too, I just want to check up on you...that's all"

"Well I'm fine"

"Where did you go? Last night." He asks. I run my tongue around my left cheek all the way to my right then swallow the rocks building up in my throat.

"I know your game" he catches my attention "you hate lying as much as you hate being lied too so you pick around the wound never actually lying but never telling me the truth"

"It's not like that" I tell him.

"But it is." He says "Where did you go?"

"I was safe, I made it home didn't I?"

"Melody" his voice warns.

"Dad just leave it alone okay? I don't understand this, since when do you care about me? Tiago has always been your favourite" I snap at him.

"Your acting out, going and coming home with no word. You never ask you just state your coming back, the last time I saw my child act like this he left"

"I'm not Tiago dad!"

"No. No your not, you are all your mother meaning you are more then you think. You are a walking reminder of what I lost Melody, Why'd you think it's been so hard on me?"

"I'm not my mother!"

"Melody I didn't mean to hu-"

"Dad! Just stop. Please. Just..." I shake my head and lift my left hand indicating for him to stop "I appreciate the effort, I really do but we don't talk."

"I'm trying to fix a trust I've clearly broken" he says clearly upset. I take a deep breath not realizing that my words can actually hurt.

I don't know why he's so worried about me, I'm fine. I'm doing just okay, I've been doing okay for about a year and a half now. He's never asked my once every since mom died how I feel about it so why start now?