Opinion

~chapter eight~

Melody

I take my hair tie and tie the front of my hair up and out my way as I'm walking towards the little set up outside. "Hi can I get a pink lemonade?" I ask a teacher.

"Sure thing Melody" she smiles at me then puts ice in a cup and pours some pink lemonade for me.

"Thank you" I take the cup and start walking back, I spot Karter's back to me as he walks in the direction of the cafeteria. I watch him slow his paste down as he approaches the cafeteria doors.

He looks in the small window then turns and our eyes meet, his deep gaze makes my stomach flip and I take an unintentional step back. I take two more still not breaking eye contact.

I turn completely going back the way I came, I hear his distant footsteps so I know he's following me. I stop at the entrance of the school and hear the door open and shut behind me.

"You wanna go for a walk?" I turn to him.

"Sure" his husky voice says and we move towards our school woods, the school woods goes to the back field which is where the bonfire will be after lunch.

We walk side by side into the woods, the silence is something I can handle when Karter's around. His presence is triggering enough. I fix my flower crown securing it so it doesn't fall off.

I do a little skip getting ahead of Karter, we pass many beautiful flowers all different colours. "So um- why'd you move?" I ask turning to him.

"Bad environment" he says stepping over a log.

"What? You form the hood or something?" I smile.

"No" he smiles looking away, I admire his smile since I don't see it often "I guess you can't heal in the same place you got hurt" he looks up at me.

"Or you could just suck it up" I turn and keep walking. I see a beautiful yellow dandelion and go pick it off it's stem then wait for Karter who's stopped at a distance.

"Here" I extend my hand to give him the flower, his eyes shift form the flower to me and I roll my eyes moving closer to him.

I tip toe to reach him then move some hair back then put the flower by his left ear, I step back and roll on a twig loosing my balance.

I reach out for Karter's arm as a reflex and then I feel his strong hand on the back of my waist stopping me form falling. Okay super man I smile to myself "Thanks" I let go of his arm.

Why does he have to look at me like that? With those eyes? Oh my! I don't want to leave but I know I should "We should head back" I move out his grip and move forwards.

Soon enough we get out the woods and go hunting for our friends, we find them in a class room unsupervised. I walk in to find Kate a little too comfortable with Cal and the same thing with Ali but with Liam.

Ross however is not there for some reason. We spend the rest of the school day in the class room and Ross comes back eventually.

After the bonfire I have Karter accompany me to my locker and I get my bag. "You still coming over?" He leans on the locker next to mine.

"Yeah I just need to go home and shower first" I point to the glitter on my face.

"You could always shower at my place" he says looking over at me as I close my locker.

"No." I laugh leaving the school premises "I'll see you in a bit" I walk away and towards the bus stop.
•••

I ring Karter's door bell then knock, to my surprise Karter opens the door. He steps a side letting me in and I go down the aisle into his living room, he's already set up on his kitchen counter and I sit down in the same place I was last time.

I take my books out and we start working in our comfortable silence. I look up to see him scrolling through his lap top, the screen light flashes on his skin making his eyes more vibrant.

My eyes shift to his full pink lips and I retain myself shifting my focus back to my books. "So what do you think?" He asks.

"About what?" I look up.

"Vampires"

"Um- I don't know"

"So you don't think there real?" He asks.

"No." I clear my throat "I mean, there's many things in this world but Vampires are not one of them"

Karter gives me a look indicating he's studying me, I can't hold his eye contact because I get butterflies so I look away. "What if you've already been face to face with a Vampire?" He asks.

"Well um, I doubt that," I look away "I think he would of ripped my throat open"

"So all Vampires are bad?" I can tell he really wants a straight answer form me.

"No." I say and he raises his eyebrow "I just don't understand why someone would want to live for so long, like do you sparkle or do you burn in the sun?" I ask.

"It makes sense if they burn right? Cause who wants to sparkle in the sun?" he asks then his phone rings and he gets up to answer it.