Close

~chapter forty one~

Melody

"Don't go far." I hush at Kate and Ali then go back to looking for the phone, if I remember correctly it was by the microwave. I look around the microwave and don't see it. Huh interesting.

I turn to see it right on front of me by the fruits "Great, I'm just blind." I whisper to myself. I pick the phone up and punch Karter's number in then put it by my ear listening to it ring.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up." My stomach lifts making me feel uneasy, no one answers so I try agin but this time I feel even more overwhelmed. The first ring is long then the second is even longer and so is the third.

The phone rings one more time and then someone picks up "Hello?" I get nothing but silence so I take my chance and start explaining myself "Presus' is here, we um, saw him earlier today."

The other line is still quite and Ali walks in "Any chance?" She whispers.

"I mean, somebody's picked up but I don't know." I tell her then listen to the line a little more carefully. When I get nothing for the third time I finally hang up.

"No fucking way!" We hear Kate shriek and rush to her "He has a play room?!" She smiles to me when we find her in the middle of the dim red room. "Does he like whip you and stuff."

"No, can we go?"

"Look at this." She picks up a whip.

"Can you put that down!" I grab it putting it back "We got what we came for let's go."

"Okay okay" she giggles and we walk back out and make our way towards the living room.

"Guys someone's here." Ali rushes to us "They just pulled up! We gotta hide!" We all bolt into different directions and I rush towards Karter's modern bedroom and hide in the left side of his closet.

I close the door facing it just as I hear the front door being forced open probably by a kick, I jump out my skin covering me mouth form screaming.

I hear different voices some low like a hush but all are distant. My body goes tense when I hear the switch and see the light coming through the small crack between the two doors.

I hear shuffling meaning they must be looking around and through Karter's stuff. The right side of the closet door slides open and I press my hand harder against my mouth.

My heart beats so hard I can feel it in my ears. I watch big masculine hand stench in scanning Karter's clothes, his forearms are cover with tattoos. He stops and I feel a tear rub down my cheek.

Shit. I feel my bottom lip tremble and I try my hardest not to scream. The left side starts to slide open letting the light slowly in. He's going to see me.

"Hey look at this." A voice says and the guy stops opening my side of the closet "Its going down." The paintings. I tell myself. They have found the room.

"Call boss." He orders and I hear the guy footsteps distance themselves form me. I swallow the pile of rocks that were building up in my throat.

"In here sir." I hear then tense back up. "It's like there's something down there." The same voice says and I hear footsteps make there way down the steps.

"There just painting sir." A distant voice says.

"Nothings just a painting." I hear a voice I recognize. Presus. "Look around." I start hearing distant shuffling and ruffling before the voices start again. "Any updates on the human he's been sleeping around with?"

"For Harry or Karter Sir?" A voice reply.

"Both."

"No, nothing yet."

"Pathetic." I hear footsteps making their way back up "The girls we met today."

"Melody Brooks, Katlin Williams, Aliya Green." My heart sinks to my stomach at the sound of our names "They're just high school graduates."

"Medical history."

"A few broken bones and fractures but other then that they're all clean." My heart slows down in relief.

"Leave this place the way we found it," I hear his heavy footsteps move closer to the closet I'm in, I press my hand harder against my lips as he slides my side close "We want him coming back." He slides the right side close.

"Yes sir." I hear them all spread out and I keep still until the light of the room switches close. "Let's go!" I hear a distant voice and multiple footsteps following it out.

The front door closes with a loud slam making me up. I stay put for about five minutes to make sure I don't hear anymore voices or footsteps then slide the door open.

I make my way around the loft as silent as I can go peeping through each room. "Kate!" I whisper "Ali!" I get nothing and keep looking around.