Back

~chapter twenty-one~

Melody

I go into the first room I see and just assume it's Bradly considering the black silk sheets and grey walls, I move around making my way to the desk.

I run my hands on the wood desk then look up at Kate and Ali still looking around too, I run my fingers past his many books and note pads.

"Nothing here" Kate says and I follow them out. We go into a similar room but with no desk this time, we do a round and visit the other guest rooms then go back down.

I look around the living room as Ali checks the kitchen and Kate does the game room. When we officially find no sign of Karter we get going.

"See," Ali turns to Kate "just a safety precaution"

"Yeah as simple as getting locked up" she says "let's just go"

"C'mon" I open the front door and let them out first, I close the door behind me and look around just to make sure we're not being watched. I spot a black Range Rover parked a few blocks down.

I catch up with the girls taking one last good look at the car, I spot a flicker of movement but it's so fast I almost miss it. At this point it could be anything, a light, leaf, wind, anything.

We start to make our way back to my house getting a full lecture about being responsible from Kate.

"I'm just saying I'm an accessory to a crime and I assure you I'm not the cute channel handbag type"

"Kate just drop it, he's not gonna find out" Ali says as we reach my house door.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow" I open the door and they wave me goodbye.

"It's simple for you to say" I hear Kate carries on form a distance, I take the steps two at a time and then go to my room.

I check my phone and end up going to Karter's contact again, I call and listen to I ring in my ear but no one picks up. Why am I not surprised?
•••

"We really need to go prom shopping" Kate insists, we're sitting at the lunch table in our free period doing nothing but talking.

"Prom's like two weeks away" Aliya says.

"Exactly my point" Kate says.

I can't engage in the conversation as my mind is still on Karter's disappearance, it's been a week and a half now and still no sign of him.

"I mean, you guys still want to go to prom?" I ask them.

"Yes." Kate says like it's the most obvious thing in the world "there's no debate about it, if Karter doesn't take you Ross will"

"Believe it or not Ross is still warped around your little finger" Ali adds.

"Ross does not like me like that" I disagree.

"Yes he does, everyone sees him drooling over you" Kate shoves me playfully.

"Oh shut up" I push her back and she starts laughing.

"I'm sure it's the sex that's still got him whipped" Ali says joining the laughter.

"Can you guys stop" I giggle clutching my belly but the laughter and inappropriate jokes keep going until we're wheezing.

The bell rings indicating its lung and kids start pouring in flooding the cafeteria. "Imma go get us something to eat" Aliya stands up.

"No it's my turn" tell her.

"Doesn't matter I'm already up" she smiles and walks away slowly towards the cue. I start to scroll on my phone going through instagram and Snapchat.

"I know Karter's off limits but is it me or an I seeing double the hotness?" Kate says and I look up at her, she's staring at Cal's table and I follow her gaze.

Karter's back? I can't help but smile as he stand around his friends introducing them to his friend beside him. He does a quick glance over to our table and my stomach flips seeing him again.

His friend turns following his gaze and now I'm looking at a similar version of Karter's, I quickly turn away giving all my attention to Kate. She smiles "well well well"

Aliya comes back with a tray of food and sits down "Karter's back," Kate exclaims "and he bought his hot brother" she points.

"There identical, which ones Karter?" She asks.

"The one with no ear piercings," I say without looking back, "and they're not twins." I take a strawberry form the tray and put it in mouth.

"Kate!" I hear Cal shout and Ali and I look at her.

"He's signalling us over" She whispers to us "one sec!" She smiles at him.

"No he's signalling you over" I correct her.

"What happened to never leaving a girl behind?" She asks "c'mon"

"Mmhmm" I shake my head "nope I can't be around-"

"Too late," Ali says "they're coming here"

"Who's they?"

"Liam, Cal, Karter and his brother" Kate says really fast "hey baby" Kate kisses Cal.

"I need to bathroom" I clear my throat and get up leaving the table, I exist the cafeteria taking the left in the direction of the bathrooms.