cherry cake

~chapter four~

Eighteen years old. I feel different. Uncle Ted walks into my room without knocking and starts serenading me with the 'Happy Birthday' song.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Cara, happy birthday to you!" He signs placing a cake with a candle on top of my bed sheet clad legs.

"Make a wish!" He says and I blow on the candles and he claps,

"Happy eighteenth" he says and pulls out a present from his pocket.

"Cartier?" I ask him gobsmacked and he nods smiling and I thank him as I unravel the red bow admiring the classy packaging.

It was a gold necklace with a heart on it with my name engraved on it, "I love it Uncle!" I say and he hugs me kissing my cheek.

"You're welcome sweetie but after school we can go to your favourite Italian restaurant" he says and I smile thanking him.

"I'd love that!" I say and he nods telling me to get dressed after I put on the necklace he bought me with pride.

When I get dropped off at the school gates, everyone greets me by hugging me and wishing me a happy birthday, they even gave me some gifts.

Loren gave me a red lipstick with my favourite chocolates, Aaliyah got me a charm bracelet and a book, Lucas and Brittany brought me a joint present.

"Thanks guys!" I say hugging them all again and they smile as I wear the bracelet and try one of the chocolates which taste like heaven.

"What are you doing after school?" They ask me and I tell them that I have an after school detention and dinner with my uncle.

"Surely we can get you off the hook with Mr Romano as it's your birthday! We need to treat you somehow!" Says Loren and they all agree.

"I would love to but how will I persuade him?" I ask them and they tell me to go to his office at break and I nod seeing as that's my best option.

"Where's Grayson?" I ask them and Aaliyah shrugs not sure either and Loren points to a group of guys that are laughing loudly

"He's friends with them?" I ask them and Loren nods tucking her hair behind her ears as she looks at one of the guys beside Grayson.

"Aren't they all part of a motorcycle gang?" I ask them and Lucas nods, "yeah and probably some other gang" he says with a hostile gaze.

"Babe!" whispers Brittany to calm him down and he looks at her and they walk off together with their bodies practically glued together

"Then there were three" says Loren joking and we all chuckle and I turn around to then see Mr Romano talking to another teacher.

I turn back around and once the bell goes I walk up to Grayson and he kisses my cheek greeting me with a happy birthday, he doesn't gift me anything.

I wasn't expecting a gift, I'm not that snooty.

"Happy birthday Cara" he says to me as he slings his arm over my shoulder,

"Thank you Grayson" I say as we walk past a group of teens chatting.

"Looking forward to your birthday detention?" He asks me and I shake my head trying not to roll my eyes, "overjoyed" I tease.

"I'm going to go to that one with you guys and then I'm going to try and sneak out of the one after school- I'm sure he'll let me" I say and he nods.

"I'll come with you, I'll make sure he lets you come with us, it is your birthday" he says and I smile at him as we walk to home room.

We all sit outside of the detention room as we wait for Mr Romano to come and unlock the door, I still have to ask him if I can not attend after school.