sat on a throne of lies

~chapter 20~

The painting of myself was sold straight away.

The cool glass of water in my hand shook as the room clapped at the hefty sale.

Grayson kissed my cheek and put his hand possessively on my thigh as my painting comes up for sale.

The man who was interested in it earlier ended up buying it for his wife for three hundred dollars and I was glad to get a sale from it.

It was what I had put all my emotions into.

When Mr Romano left it was the only salvation, my saving grace to stop me from going insane.

A reminder that we had a holiday fling

I sneakily glance over at Mr Romano as he shakes hands with the man who bought it and I watch as Angeline smiles and kisses him proudly.

I turn my head away and look at Grayson who then turns his head to look at me, he gives me a shy smile and tugs my hand closer to him.

We broke up our 'friends with benefits' arrangement just after Venice and decided to start to get to know each other a bit more, we aren't dating yet, we're just reserved.

But ever since Mr Romano left he has been plaguing my mind

"You okay?" Asks Grayson and I bite the inside of my cheek and nod smiling, "yeah, I'm fine" I say and he nods not believing me but I turn away

"The painting was a hit Miss Delores" says Mr Romano from behind me and I turn around to see him smiling expressionless.

"Glad to hear Sir" I grit out waiting for my painting to come up and I turn back around trying not to roll my eyes at him.

"I'm just going to the toilet" I say to Grayson squeezing his hand and he looks up at me confused,

"But your painting! You don't want to miss it!" He says and I smile weakly

"I'm sure mine will be near the end" I say and he nods and I pull my dress down slightly and I walk past a few rows of people before heading to toilet.

I walk to the toilet trying not to cry as everything that has happened piles on top of me, the portrait of me and the fact that my 'fling' is back

And engaged

I slip into a stall and sit on the toilet seat and I rub my temples crying and sniffling as I look up listening to the faint noises from the main hall.

The toilet door opens and I wipe my eyes and pretend that I'm not crying as I hear the shoes of the person near my toilet door.

"Cara?" Says the deep voice that doesn't sound like a woman's and I unlock the door wiping my eyes to see Mr Romano.

"Cara look" he says running his hands through his gelled hair that is slightly longer than before and I lean against the door annoyed

"Look whatever you're going to say won't make a difference" I say and he shakes his head and then crosses his arms

"I don't want to be childish, but you and I both know that all we did was kiss and it was a huge mistake, I had to leave" he says