give this ring to someone you truly love

~chapter thirty nine~

Mr Romano's POV:

The glasses quietly clink against each other.

Dinner was definitely full of tension that only three of us could decipher.

I had to tell Angeline not to tell anyone otherwise she would find herself in some trouble to do with my fathers gang.

She immediately said she would be silent and I have to take her word for that, as she isn't in any rush to get back to Italy.

I sneak a few glances at a confused Cara and I look over at her Uncle who gives me a small smile as he eats his food.

"This is lovely" I say after I've chewed my food and he looks up at me, "thank you Salvatore" he coughs,

"My mother used to make this a lot" he tells me and Cara shuffles in her seat as she picks at her food with disinterest.

"Oh" I smile taking another bite at my food and then I look at Angeline who is scrutinising Cara as she grips her knife and fork.

"Your mother must be a good cook" I say and he nods softly swirling his finger around the edge of the wine glass.

"She is, the best in my opinion and Cara's right?" He chuckles and looks at her and she gives him a stale smile which wipes his clean off.

"Yes" she whispers and takes a small bite of her food and I continue to eat as I feel the tension rise up and knowing Angeline- she won't let this breeze by.

"So Cara, Salvatore tell me you're a good artist" she says bluntly and Cara looks up in surprise but I don't miss the acidity in Angeline's voice.

I shoot her a glare and Cara nods at Angeline's question putting her knife and fork down after she's finished chewing.

"I enjoy painting, it's one of my strongest subjects" she says strongly and Angeline takes a sip out of her wine glass.

"I'm sure he agrees" she spits

"I'm proud of Cara, you've certainly been in most people's good books at Eastwood" her Uncle says and Angeline nearly chokes on her wine.

"Oh definitely Mr Delores, especially Mr Romano's" She finishes and Mr Delores looks confused and slightly vexed at her statement.

"Excuse me" he says in a placid tone and Cara looks at me scratching her neck and I send her a comforting smile.

I look over at Angeline and give her a look that tells her that if she continues that sentence she will regret ever coming tonight.

"Sorry, I meant she is a good student to Mr Romano" she apologises and Cara's uncle nods swiftly after drinking his beer.

"Well we should probably get going seeing as it's a school night and all" I say after we've finished our meal

Cara stands up with me and Angeline and her Uncle throws his napkin on the table and claps my shoulder.

"Of course Salvatore, good to see you both again"

He says to Angeline too as well as me and she smiles bleakly at him- she doesn't even bother to acknowledge Cara.

"Thanks for the meal and your company" I say and Angeline nods, "thank you Ted" she replies politely and he shakes his head.