chicken soup

~chapter forty nine~.

"You sure you will be okay?" She asks me,

"I think so" I say and she hugs me again and pats my hair with her hands and I pull away and give her an attempted, 'I'm fine' smile.

I open the car door and grab my suitcase and walk up to the front of my home and I give her one last wave before walking away.

The big doors open and the familiar smell of my Uncles cologne hits me and I drop my bags and realise that I am home alone.

Realising Ted must be working late tonight I decide to freshen up and take a shower and cook myself something to eat.

I abandon my phone and ignore all the messages that blow up my phone and I strip off and take a shower.

The warm water cascades down my skin and I try to rub all the dirt and grime of the day off; enjoying the rich scent of my coconut body wash.

I turn the water off and wrap myself up in towel and put on some body cream and head downstairs in my midnight blue silk pyjamas.

I decide to cook something as the house seems a little cold and I haven't really had a proper cooked meal for a while.

I settle on something easy and not Italian as that will cause me too break down and pretend that I'm in Italy eating it with Salvatore.

So I cook chicken soup as I'm craving something warm and proper and when I cut the vegetables I try not to imagine Salvatore watching me.

I shake my head free of all thoughts of him and continue to cook and once the house has a heavenly aroma I feel complete.

Who needs Salvatore now huh?

Just as I'm about to serve up the front door opens and I hear the sound of shoes against the doormat and keys jingling.

I hear my Uncle walk into the kitchen and his eyes widen as he sees me by the stove, in my pyjamas with a bowl of chicken soup.

"Cara what are you..."

I cut him off by throwing my arms around him and I forget the last words he said to me which consisted of,

'Don't come running back to me once he's broke your heart'

"You were right" I sob into his shoulder and I grip onto his white shirt that smells like soap and his aftershave.

"Oh sweetheart" he soothes me and then he strokes my hair and and I pull away wiping my eyes as he kisses my forehead.

"What did the bastard do to you?" He asks and I shrug sitting down on a stool and he sits next to me and offers me a small smile.

"We... We weren't going to work out" I stutter and he looks at me with a confused look, "but you were so sure he wasn't going to do hurt you" He says tenderly.

"I was, I never thought he would hurt me" I say spilling my heart out to him and he rubs my backs as I hiccup and stumble over my words.

"Maybe he wasn't the right guy for you. I never really approved of it after you two ran off and he's too old for a girl like you" he reasons.