no one wants us together

~chapter forty two~

The next morning I stir awake in bed.

I sit up and pat the bedsheet next to me and feel around for Salvatore.

Then I groan when my eyes open and I adjust them to the harsh sunlight and I then realise that I'm back home, in my own room.

I sit up and rub my eyes when I get up and get myself ready for school and the smell of pancakes downstairs gives me a good wake up call.

"Morning" I say waking into the kitchen and I see a small stack of pancakes on the kitchen table and Ted looks up at me.

"Morning sweetheart" he says and I take a seat and pour myself a glass of water whilst he sips an espresso on his phone.

I give him a smile and look at the pancakes in glee and I cut into the thick, fluffy stack covered in golden syrup and blueberries.

"I can't believe you had time to make this before work" I say and he shrugs, "I was up early" he replies

"Why?"

"Couldn't sleep much" he says shrugging in his blazer jacket and he walks off leaving an awakes aura in the room.

After finishing breakfast I collect all my school stuff and brush my teeth and jump into my Uncles car and he turns on the radio.

After a short drive that felt like it lasted an hour I get out and say goodbye and make my way into school as I feel the cool air nip at my skin.

I walk past Grayson who is with his 'gang' friends and I offer him a small smile to which he returns but doesn't keep eye contact for long.

I look around the corridors to try to find Aaliyah and Loren but once the bell rings out I give up and head straight to homeroom.

"Hey" says Brittany next to me as she puts her handbag on the desk and I offer her a smile sitting down

"Hi" I reply and she sits down in her seat and nervously looks around, biting her lip and then she looks at me.

"Me and uhm... Lucas and I had a fight" she says with a shaky voice and I look over at her giving a sympathetic smile.

"Brittany I'm sorry..."

"No don't feel bad for me, I just... I've been feeling really weird recently and Lucas brought it up and then we had a fight" she explains

"I'm sorry, Brittany, I'm sure he's as upset as you are" I smile and she shrugs picking at her nails and then she leans in

"I'm sorry he doesn't agree with you and Mr Romano, I did try to talk to him about it and say it's none of his business but he wouldn't listen"

"Was that another reason why you argued?" I ask her and she shrugs and my mouth opens like a fish as I feel guilt and confusion coarse through me.

"I'm sorry I caused a bit of your argument but I don't get why he cares so much about me and Mr Romano, I mean I get why he's worried but..."

"No please don't excuse his behaviour, I had to tell him that it's not his problem but he's so stubborn and I just feel like a bitch" she whispers

"No please don't feel like that, I don't mind but I don't want him to worry about anything, me and Mr Romano are fine" I reassure her

"Oh ok, if you're sure" she places a hand on my shoulder and I nod shrugging guessing that I'm ok with what she's said.

My mind when's into turmoil as I thought about Brittany and Lucas and I was also feel very confused as to why Lucas cared so much.

I mean we hardly speak to each other and I get that I hurt Grayson, his best friend, who was also one of my closest friends too.