xxxviii. garden of butterflies

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻
❝ 𝒈𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒃𝒖𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

"STUPID, STUPID MEN," VERA GRUMPILY MUTTERS to herself, huffing loudly, guarding the entrance of the group of travelers' shelter, wherein which they rest together; the fire they had inconspicuously made beforehand was long gone by the time they de...

"STUPID, STUPID MEN," VERA GRUMPILY MUTTERS to herself, huffing loudly, guarding the entrance of the group of travelers' shelter, wherein which they rest together; the fire they had inconspicuously made beforehand was long gone by the time they decided to retire in their cots, presently snoring loudly and muttering to themselves about damsels. Vera didn't bother joining her friends in their supper nor did she accompany them when sleeping, deciding to keep the first watch.

Vera wasn't particularly content with the decision to take shelter during the night, having been determined to continue their pursuit in order to heroically save Merry and Pippin from whatever torture that the Uruk-hai are warranting. However, with the whining from her friends about their tired limbs, as well as the own pain in her body, she was forced to stop and consider her friends' wellbeing, then ultimately choosing to isolate herself whilst they got their well-needed and desirable rest.

So, while they rejoiced in the ability to sleep and eat their hearts out, Vera sat dejectedly atop a large boulder by the entrance, managing to steal — or, as she liked to say, borrowed — a hidden flask of light-weighted alcohol from Corin's concealed part in his satchel, slyly slipping it to her hand and quenching herself with it. She didn't notice, nor did she care, if they fell asleep.

Her eyes scour the barren plains around her, letting her acute eyes inspect the grassland, ensuring that she didn't miss a single area of possible danger. Sighing, Vera swings her arms out and with one hand holding the flask of Corin's alcohol, she drinks it down thirstily, ignoring the burning in her throat as a result of the sharp beverage. She hugs herself closer, pulling the elven cloak to her torso in a vain attempt to create more heat against the colder winds.

Despite the incoming seasonal transition from the icy feel of winter to the warmer ambiance of spring, the air and winds during the night, wherein the sun disappears, are just as crisp and intense as any winter night. Vera's heart pounds against her chest softly, reminding her just how long she had before the mermaid needs to return to the water. For a while, she longed to return home and bring victory to her people but as time passed and circumstances changed drastically, Vera no longer yearned to go back just yet, wanting to experience spring and summer on land.

"I hope you don't mean us," a voice pulls her out of her thoughts, eliciting a groan from the mermaid princess as she turns to glare indignantly at the elven prince smirking at her by the entrance of the small cave. Rolling her hazel eyes in annoyance, Vera spares him a quick glance before rotating her body to the empty plains once again.