magnifique | eighteen

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑

chapter eighteen
|miss jeannie's letter|

┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

" 'matthew, i'm sure i've made it clear by now, but i've been thinking of you since we reconnected last year. if you could find it in your heart to respond, it would mean the world to me. you are a special man. yours, jeannie, " anne shirley-cuthbert read the letter of miss jeannie to matthew.

"anne, it is a very sweet letter, but, it is matthew's property. you don't even have a permission to read that! and... that's invasion of privacy," millie quietly scolded her sister.

"i know, sister, but have you ever heard anything more romantic?" anne dreamily asked, causing millie to facepalm but didn't say anything. the truth is, she didn't heard anything much more romantic than miss jeannie's letter to matthew. nobody ever says those words to her, and nobody ever will, she thought.

"what does it mean?" ruby excitedly asked as she and diana was smiling very widely.

"don't you see?" anne began, "who believe her days of love are behind her is suddenly reacquainted with the kindest, most wonderful man, who she knew in school only to discover that he has lived his who life without the bliss of true love."

"they knew each other in school?" ruby excitedly asked, once again. "why, gilbert and knew each other in school."

"maybe matthew's been waiting for jeannie this whole time," anne answered, ignoring ruby's statement about gilbert.

"why isn't he writing her back?"

"he doesn't have the words," anne said.

"or maybe, there is some deep reason why matthew isn't writing miss jeannie back. so, we must get the letter back to matthew before he knows that we sneak that letter out and read it," millie said but the girls completely ignore her statement.

"it would be awful to live a life without a true love," ruby said as anne suddenly seems to think and stood up.

"i will be an agent of romance."

"how can you be sure that matthew and jeannie are in love?" diana suddenly asked, causing to millie make a 'thankful face' to her.

"diana has a point, you know," millie stated in a-matter-of-fact tone.

"i have ways, don't worry, my bosom friend and dear sister."

"and, make sure to put it back where it belongs before matthew found out and will be furious to us," millie said with a finality voice as her sister just nods to her.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"um, matthew? do you mind if we ask you a personal question?" millie politely asked to matthew, who's holding a big wheel.

"of course, what is it?" matthew curiously said, to working.

"did you ever go courting, matthew?" anne was the one to asked.

matthew looked at the girls as he put down the wheel, "uh... c-can't say as i did, no."

millie give anne a knowing look as the red-head ask matthew a question, "well, do you... believe in true love?"

"well, now... i got no reason to, uh... disbelieve it, i suppose."

"but did you ever feel the ache of love in your own heart?" anne asked.

"i wonder if marilla isn't the one that y---" matthew stated as anne cuts her off.

"we want to talk you," anne quickly said as matthew nodded.

"alright, then. uh, well, then... anne, millie... if you two having... uh... feelings... a-about... a... a... a boy..." matthew stammered.

"not us!" anne quickly exclaimed as she looked at matthew knowingly.

matthew stared at the sisters awkwardly as jerry comes in. matthew quickly diverted his attention to jerry.

"jerry, let me give you some instructions about the hay," matthew said to jerry, trying to avoid anne's topic.

anne and millie immediately looked at each other as soon as jerry and matthew exit the barn.