magnifique | forty one

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑

chapter forty one
|it is our choice|

┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

prissy andrews' wedding came up fast. the girls sat with the prissy the morning of the big day. prissy's hair was already done into an elegant hairdo.

although, millie was find prissy and mister phillips' wedding unsettling. the difference of age between prissy and mister phillips was unsettling, too. from millie and the others' knowledge, prissy had been determined to go to college but that was no longer an option. mister phillips wants to focus prissy's attention to become a housewife.

"something old..." ruby said as she stood across the room and the bride, prissy gestured to the necklace that hung around her neck.

"something new..." jane muttered, a cheerful smile plastered on her face as she sat next to her sister on a large bed. prissy pointed to the pin in her hair.

"something borrowed?" anne assumed as she's holding the bridal veil, prissy nods in agreement.

"something blue?" millie continued as prissy gestured to the blue buttons in her gown.

"and a silver sixpence?" diana said as prissy picked up the silver sixpence that diana gave to her as a gift a days ago.

"in my shoe, " prissy finished as she placed the sixpence on the sole of her shoes before putting it back onto her foot.

the girls laughed lightly as they finished the rhyme. although, millie didn't like the idea of prissy and mister phillips' being wed, she managed to be supportive as long as prissy was happy in her decisions.

"prissy, i can only hope that one day, eventually, this union between you and mister phillips will grow into one where you can both fulfill your heart's desires, " anne suddenly blurted out. the laughter was replaced by an awkward silence, and of course, an awkward mood. the girls shared an unsettling glimpse to each other as prissy looked at anne with a confusion written on her face.

"oh, well, i-i only meant that even if your marriage isn't all romantical, you can still have the most marvelous life in toronto, and perhaps one day, you can go back to... school," anne continued, but realizing that her words are not appreciated by the time.

millie looked at prissy, who is blinking to hold back her tears. it was clearly that prissy was upset.

"anne," millie silently scolded her sister for being insensitive, "i'm sorry, prissy."

"we'll leave you to it," diana said.

"i'll see you out," jane said.

"wait. i'll stay here for seconds," millie said as the girls nodded and exited to the room.

"um, prissy, i'm sorry but anne is right. it is your choice. you can go back to school, prissy. we are young and i think, love can wait. if he really loves you, he'll wait until you're graduated. remember, it is your choice... i'll leave you now," millie said as she leaves prissy, confused, and alone.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

mister phillips hadn't smiled once since prissy enter the church, not even as he lifted the veil from prissy's face and that didn't fail to notice by millie.

prissy's smiled slowly faded as she slowly looked around, to the guests. her eyes began to fill with tears. she clearly knows, something was mistaken.

"prissy?" mister phillips whispered, the church was quiet so all of them could hear it. prissy chose to ignore it, or so millie thought, "prissy?"

prissy looked at millie, who was nodding at her in support, she knew what prissy was going to do, and she was proud of her. prissy meet her mother's eyes for a moment as she dropped the bouquet in her hands.
before anyone could say anything, prissy picked up her dress and ran out of the church.

"prissy!" jane called after her sister as ran after her.

millie silently ran after prissy, as anne, diana, and ruby shared a look before following them.

the air was chilly as they left the church, but they didn't care. they want to run after prissy, to see how she was. they reached the middle of the snowy fields as prissy fell to the snow, her veil falling over her face. they all stopped when they reached her side as jane and millie placed their hands on prissy's back for support.

"prissy?" jane carefully said, bending down to try and see prissy's face. after a moment, prissy quickly sat up and removed the veil from her face. instead of tears, she burst out on cheerful laughter. the girls shared an odd look as the older andrews stood on her feet, taking jane and millie's hand as she smiled at each and every one of them. they all began to laugh uncontrollably as they all joined hands and formed a circle, prissy was standing in the middle and spinning around with her hands in the air.

for a few moments, prissy began to scoop up the snow into her gloved hands, launching snowball into the cuthbert sisters. anne and millie were shocked at first but quickly smiled as they threw a snowball to the other girls. the sound of cheerful laughs was fulfilling the empty sound of the snowy fields.

"prissy," millie called but was only to received a bone-crashing hug from prissy. millie smiled softly as she hugged back from the girl.

"thank you, millie. thank you," prissy muttered in their hug.

"it is your choice, prissy. always remember that. it is our choice. after all, we are still young."