magnifique | twenty

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑

chapter twenty
|friendship bracelet|

┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

"wares for sale! wares for sale! something for everybody!" millie heard as a man with some things to his back showed up, "uh... beautiful day, ya?"

millie and anne stopped brushing some dust as they reached the man. millie smiled at the man, "it is indeed a beautiful day. good morning, sir."

the man smiled at her, "good morning to you too, young lady."

the man shows up leather as he pushes it to open, some jewels, rock, and such other things appeared.

"oh. where are these from? oh, wait. a russian tsar, anatoly, a pulled these off his dying brother in battle. and his brother, who was a pacifist who went to war only to protect greedy anatoly, and who, in death, taught the tsar to lead with love," anne rambled.

"such an interesting, um, uh..." the man trails off.

"imagination?" millie offered.

"hm!"

"yes. she gets that quite a bit. what is this?" millie said as she touched a blue stone pendant?

"that... belong to my wife," the man said, "she give in hope i sell and we together sooner."

"where is she?" anne asked.

millie nudged anne slightly, "i don't think we are in a place to ask that personal question."

"oh. it's alright. she and my children still in germany," the man answered, "i work night and day to bring them here. not good for jewish people there. treated like, uh..." the man said.

"you must miss them so. now that i know what it is to have a family, i cannot imagine what it would be like not to see them every day," millie said as the man look away to hide his tears.

"oh, i would die to be able to give my bosom friend something like this," anne said as she touched a heart pendant.

"it's broken," the man said as he opened the pendant.

"i think broken things have such a sad beauty. after years of stories and triumph and tragedy infused into them, they can be much more romantical than new things that haven't lived at all," anne said as she smiled.

the man smiled and handed anne the heart pendant.

"oh, i don't have any money," anne said.

the man stopped her, "it's yours."