lviii. calm before the storm

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑰𝑭𝑻𝒀 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻
❝ 𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒎 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒎 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE BURNING SMELL OF A PIPE and something old reaches Vera's nose as another figure appears beside her

THE BURNING SMELL OF A PIPE and something old reaches Vera's nose as another figure appears beside her. She barely has to look beside her to know who stands next to her, already having caught a glimpse of his white robes and had heard the sound of his staff thudding next to him before his announced arrival. For a while, they don't talk, merely staring out into the bustling city of Edoras as numerous Rohirrim gather around to hear the announcement from Hàma, the soft breeze brushing across the entire plain and creating a peaceful atmosphere of sunshine and happiness...but Vera knows that today would not be a good day, for the Rohirrim and her. Today would be the day that they venture from Edoras to take refuge in Helm's Deep by order of the King, who only committed to the act for the safety of his people but Vera has a feeling that the army they are trying to evade will find them, one way or another.

Vera, on the other hand, didn't have much to look forward to in the coming days, knowing that she and her small group of friends will be traveling to Helm's Deep with the people of Edoras to ensure protection and provide Thèoden some insight of what is to come. She did not change in the short days that have passed since her felony but slowly, she is getting better. She would smile more often and laugh more naturally around the people who made her happy, showing little improvements in her behavior as she desperately attempted to stop thinking about the incident and guilting herself more than she needed to. She normally surrounded herself with the children, finding their happiness contagious or Èowyn and her Fellowship friends. She would talk to Corin if needed but she would perilously ignored Neptune in her guilt.

"Helm's Deep," Gandalf grumbles in his annoyance, successfully bringing Vera away from her thoughts as she glances at him in confusion. Gandalf doesn't cast her a spare of his time as he continues to grump in indignation, pushing his pipe from his mouth back and forth, and releasing air in between. Vera follows his line of sight, drifting her gaze from the small group of children playing at one side to Thèoden's Main Guard holding a scroll of parchment in his hand as he reads out the inscription on the paper. Vera suddenly realizes what Gandalf is so irate about, looking back on the several moments Gandalf had tried to persuade Thèoden into fighting instead of fleeing to a stronghold that would have them cornered. As usual, the stubborn King did not listen to the smarter maia and continued with his preparations, leaving Gandalf to sulk on his own. "They will be walking into a slaughter and they don't know it...their stubborn King is walking into a trap!"

Vera breaks a smile on her face, finding the maia's musings all too entertaining as she turns her attention back to Èmiliya, ensuring that the little girl is safe from any harm. Granted, she is being a tad too overprotective but Vera feels she should be...she did not want to lose a child under her watch, especially one that has gone through so much. The wind brushes her hair and her coat back, creating an annoyance as they sweep over her eyes. "You do know that Thèoden is only doing what he thinks is best for his people...any monarch would want the best for their subjects and in his mind, he thinks this is the solution. Of course, he should be thinking of other angles wherein they would be in greater danger at Helm's Deep but I doubt he would want to let another whisper into his ear after Grima. I will agree with you on one thing, he is stubborn," Vera tells Gandalf, her tone lightening in the end as she meets his eyes.