3

Tonight wasn't as cold as last night but it's still January in Massachusetts. The wind whipped around my hair as I took a seat on the cold concrete. I was lucky it hasn't snowed yet which would make the ground even colder. Sighing I put my feet through the slots of the railing and pulled Thea's coat closer to my body.

            I rested my gloved hands on the bars and looks at the black nothingness below me. Hitting the water from the this high would definitely hurt me but I don't think it would have killed me. Maybe if I hit from the right angle. Even if I did hit the water and survive, the cold water temperature would kill me. That can't be the best way to go, the waiting in the cold would be painful. I want it to be quick and painless. I don't want to suffer.

            I could hear a car approaching the bridge but I didn't move. I'm hoping the person will just continue to drive and not notice me. But when would I ever have luck on my side, never. The car's engine stopped and I could hear the sound of the car door slam shut. I put my head in my hands and sighed. I guess I can never have some time alone anymore.

            Footsteps got louder as the person got closer to me. I pulled my head from my hands and looked up to see Thea standing next to me.

            "How long have you been out here?" Thea asked and rested against the railing.

            "A while." I said and found her blue eyes boring into mine.

            "Mind if I sit?" Thea asked.

            "It's a free country, be my guest." I said and looked out over the river again.

            I heard the thud of Thea sitting down next to me. When I looked over to her she just rested her back against the railing.

            "How was work?" I asked trying not to make the silence awkward.

            "Arrested a guy for beating his girlfriend, had to write up a lot of paperwork for the black eye he came to the station with." Thea said and flexed her right hand a bit.

            "Did it make you feel better?" I asked.

            "A little" Thea said and sighed before closing her eyes. "Is this going to be a nightly thing?"

            "I don't know yet." I answered.

            "You sure you don't want to call anybody?" Thea asked and rolled her head to look at me.

            "Yes" I answered and swung my legs through the slots.

            "How about we go back to get something to eat? I didn't get to take my meal today because of that prick." Thea asked.

            "Sure" I said.

            Thea got up off of the ground and wiped some rocks off her pants before offering her hand and helping me up. It took me a second to stand because I had to pull my legs through the slots again. Once I was standing I didn't let go of Thea's hand. She felt like my tether holding me to the ground. Thea didn't mention it as we walked to her waiting truck. She opened the passenger door for me and only once I was seated did she shut the door.

            As Thea took off we had to cross over the bridge. I rolled down my window and leaned over the frame as I looked out where I was just sitting. After we got off the bridge I rolled the window back up and really looked at the interior of the truck. The brown leather seats show there age but there aren't many cracks in them. The only modern thing on the truck is a new digital radio that is currently off.