5

Two Weeks Ago

The thud and screech of airplane tires woke me from my slumber on the cross country flight. The flight attendant come over the PA system to welcome us to Boston Logan International Airport and to let us know the gate number we are pulling into along with the number of the baggage claim where we can expect to find our luggage. I raised the window shade and took a look at the ground. The night was dark but the ground looked wet but there is no snow. It surprised me a little to see that there is no snow here yet. I was hoping there would be.

            It took a good half an hour after we connected to the gate before I was able to throw my duffle bag over my shoulder and start to make my way off the plane. Since I came home against my managers will, I had no security with me so I sat all the way in the back of the plane and kept my face covered. I pulled my Boston Red Sox dad hat down and pulled my hood up as I made my way through the terminal following the signs for baggage claim.

            It took another half an hour to get my one large suitcase from the spinning carousal and make my way to my waiting Uber. The man driving me didn't say much on the 45 minute drive to my house and I was grateful. I still found it amazing that I was able to get on a flight by myself and travel across the country and have no one recognize me. I was even more thankful the heavy layer of makeup I caked on my face was enough to hide the bruises from the TSA agent when I passed through security.

            The Uber pulled up to my house and I sighed. It's been too long since I've been home, to my home. My apartment in Los Angeles isn't home and it never will be. I thanked the driver as I shut the trunk and walked up the walk way to my house. I checked the time on my phone and saw it's already after 3 in the morning and I was thankful nobody noticed I was gone yet.

            Everything was as I left it when I pushed my way through the front door. The house was cold and I needed to turn on the heat to warm up the place. I dead bolted the front door and brought my bags up to my room before turning on the heat and water. Before I left for LA I turned everything off because I knew it would be a long time before I would return to Salem. Turns out I was right. After a quick shower and a change into an old Salem High tee shirt I crawled into my bed and fell asleep.

            When I woke up the next day I looked at the clock and saw it's a little after 2 in the afternoon. I couldn't remember the last time I was able to sleep in this late and it felt wonderful. I loved not having to keep track of my schedule to see where I need to be. I made my way downstairs and took stock of everything I have in my house, which wasn't much at all. I needed to go pick up some things if I'm staying in Salem.

            Food shopping without a car of my own would be horrible so after I grabbed everything I would need for my trip I locked up my house and walked next door. My next door neighbors are an old gay married couple, Pat and Ed. When we bought the house and moved in they came over on our first night to introduced themselves and even brought us dinner. My mom was so moved by their kindness she broke down crying and since then they have become grandparents I never really had.

            On hard nights when I didn't want to be alone I would walk next door and they would welcome me with open arms and a few shots of whiskey and I would feel at home. Now that they have gotten even older I pay for an aid to come and help them out twice a week if they need things.

            So when I walked to their house and knocked on the door Pat pulled me into a bone crushing hug. When Ed came around the corner and saw it was me he joined in. Being in their arms again felt like home. They brought me inside and we spent some time together catching up before I asked to borrow their car. Since I'm not in Salem most of the year I don't have a car here. I usually either Uber or rent a car for the time I'm staying but I didn't want to go through the trouble when I only plan on leaving my house when I run out of food.