50

Being home has been the best blessing since I've been shot. The recovery has been a slow road but slowly but surely, I've been making progress. I'm almost completely off the pain medication and now I only have to see my team of doctors once every other week instead of every week. I still have to use my cane for walking long distances but I don't really need to use it in the house. I also got my stitches removed finally but I'm going to have a nice long scar along my stomach. Physical therapy has been kicking my ass. Once my doctors cleared it, I started going to get some of my strength back.

            Thea has had a relatively easy recovery. Her wounds healed beautifully and she has been putting in the work to get better as quickly as possible. It will still be a while before she can get cleared to go back to work though, and I very much like having her around all the time. Along with physical therapy we have been going to therapy together as well as having our own sessions alone. I didn't want to slip up and go back down the same dark hole I was just able to pull myself out of. Therapy with Doctor Blake has been a major help in preventing that.

            The thing that has really bothered me right now is that it's hard to make music. Holding the guitar for long periods of time hurts my stomach. My voice is still rough from having the breathing tube in for so long. After seeing a specialist about it he told me that it will just take time for my vocal cords to heal on their own. I have another visit with him next week to see how they have been healing. I have been able to write a lot of music during this down time and I basically have the rest of my first album complete. Now I just need to track the vocals.

            Another thing I have been doing in all this down time I now have; Thea and I have been planning our wedding. We are putting it off till the spring so we have more time to recover and get to enjoy our wedding night and a honeymoon. A few days after being home Thea and I went to Tiffany's and picked out our engagement rings along with our wedding bands. We went more on the simpler side of things but even at Tiffany's, simple is still very expensive. It's a good thing money is a nonissue.

            Today is a special day though. Today is Grammy day. Even though my doctors cleared me to go, they thought I should still be resting at home. I didn't listen though. This is one of the biggest nights of my life and there was no way I was going to miss out on it.

            Alyssa flew into Boston and drove down with us to New York. Nikki and Malia are both coming with us to the show and I was happy that the Grammy people gave us the extra tickets for them to attend. I wanted to do something nice for the couple as they have helped Thea and I so much over the past month. They haven't had a lot of time to themselves and I wanted them to have a nice night out.

            So the five of us drove down to New York City. The show is at Madison Square Garden and Alyssa booked us a large suite to stay in at the Plaza Hotel. Well it was really the label that took care of the room. Toby has been checking in with me again and has given me anything I needed during my recovery. He is going to be at the awards tonight as well.

            We drove in the day of so we don't have much time before the show starts to do anything. Once we got checked into the hotel we started getting ready. I'm not walking the carpet today, just going straight inside. Alyssa also hasn't booked any press which I was thankful for. I had no interest in talking to anybody yet. The public knows about the shooting and some steps in my recovery but nothing major and I want to keep it that way.

            At first I proposed we all wear matching suits but Alyssa wanted to wear a dress. I don't know why she rather wear a dress but that was her decision. So the remaining four of us all just went with simple suits. We each wore a different color with the same black tie. When we were done getting ready Alyssa got us into the waiting car and we were driven to the back entrance of the Garden.