12

After spending all day with Lindsey and Jack going over my life for the last three years I didn't want to do anything other than crawl into bed when we got back to Thea's house. When we got back to her house it was late and we already ate dinner at the office with Lindsey and Jack. Lindsey said that they would have answers within a week about how they are doing with picking apart my contract so until then I'm still in hiding.

            Thea and I slowly made our way through the snow to the house and when we were inside we kicked our boots off and made our way to the couch. I was going to go right into Thea's bedroom when the keyboard caught my eye and I had the urge to write. Something that I haven't had in a long time. So I sat down in front of the keyboard with the notepad I had from yesterday and looked over what I already came up with.

            I could hear Thea walking around the house as I started to play around on the keyboard. The sound of the shower running caught my ear as I took my hands off the keys to reach for the pen. The running water drifted out of my head as I wrote. I can feel a Phoenix inside of me, as I march alone to a different beat, slowly swallowing down my fear, yeah, yeah,I am ready for the road less traveled, suiting up for my crowning battle, this test is my own cross to bear, but I will get there.

            I don't remember at what point Thea came out of the shower and sat on the couch with me. I was so focused on writing I barely noticed as she placed her laptop down on the floor for me to use. Words just flowed out of me as played along on the keyboard trying to create the sounds I'm envisioning that will complete this track.

            When I looked at the clock I saw it was pushing midnight, I saved all of the version I made on Thea's laptop and looked over to the couch. Thea is still sitting there watching a movie. She must have felt my eyes on her because she looked over to me and gave me a smile.

            "You could have gone to bed. I needed to write, there would have been no way for me to have went to sleep until I got these words out." I said and stood from the floor.

            "It's okay and I actually liked watching you, even though that just made me sound like a creep. You finally looked like you were at peace." Thea said as she turned off the TV.

            A blush made its way up my cheeks as I ran a hand through my hair. Maybe Pat was right. Slow your roll there Ash. First thing is first, you need to get out of the contract.

            "Do you want to hear what I have so far?" I asked.

            "If you're willing to share." Thea said.

            I just nodded and sat back down on the floor in front of the laptop. Thea took a seat on the couch close to me as I read over the lyrics one more time before I started playing. I have most of the song laid out right now and could probably finish it up tomorrow. It would just need some fine tuning before it would be ready to be released. When I was done playing I looked over to Thea and she had tears in her eyes.

            Just as I was going to say something the first tear fell and I reached up to wipe it away. I can't believe my words moved her this much. My hand cupped her cheek as another tear fell and I wiped it away. There were no more tears after that but I didn't want to ruin this moment by removing my hand. Thea took my hand from her cheek and held it in hers.

            "That just hit me in the gut. Who am I Living For should be the title. I'm hoping that this will help set you free to start living for yourself." Thea said and looked down at our hands still joined together in her lap.

            "I still need to refine it a little and it will now be known at Who am I Living For. Thank you for listening." I said and flashed her a smile.