60

The first year and a half with kids was definitely a learning curve. On top of balancing them I'm also a full time student and Thea had to adjust to her new title of lieutenant. Thea kept more odd hours with this promotion then when she was on patrol. It was an adjustment for all of us.

            I'm actually ahead of schedule with my classes for school. I have been mostly taking the maximum amount of classes allowed to take in a semester to get ahead. I've loved the challenge of school again and pushing myself. I just finished what would have been the first semester of my junior year. I'm almost done with all of my classroom classes and in the fall I'm going to be starting an internship to get some real classroom hours. But for now I took the rest of the summer off to spend time with the kids.

            The first few months with them was taxing. Thea and I had to learn all about these tiny humans who we were now in charge of. They both have their own unique personalities that took us a little bit to catch on with. Once we got them enrolled in Salem Elementary School things were a little bit easier for us. While they were in school Thea and I spent time setting up their rooms. The payoff was amazing to see the look on their faces when we were done.

            Sam warmed up to us right away, especially to Thea. She loved that Thea would play princess with her whenever she wanted. It was only a few months later that she started calling Thea mommy. It made Thea cry and I watched from the doorway when the moment happened. It wasn't long after that moment that she even called me mommy. When she caught me watching them in the doorway she jumped up from Thea's lap and ran over to me screaming I have two mommies'.

            One thing we both learned right away about Sam is that she loves to be the center of attention. She loves to perform for us. Almost every night she would put on a little play she made up herself and act it out. I have no doubt that one day we will see her either an actress or a director.

            Sam also loves school. After the first week in the first grade at a new school she made five new friends and wanted to have playdates with all of them. As the year went on, she wormed her way into her grade and knew everyone. When I would go and pick her up from school she would always be talking with a new friend. Her bubbly personality really started to bloom and I know it's going to get bigger as she grows up.

            As for Preston, he was always watching out for his sister. We later found out that the last thing his father said to him was to always watch out for Sam. It was something that stuck with him. Preston started the fourth grade and didn't have the warm welcome that Sam had. He had some problems making friends at first. Preston is a quiet kid even when you get to know him. I think that because he always stands up for Sam he forgot about himself.

            Towards the end of the year he came home with a birthday party invitation from a kid named Damien. He seemed pretty excited about going and Thea and I let him go. When we dropped him off at the laser tag place Thea and I watched Preston open up a bit when he saw Damien. Thea and I got to meet Damien's parents who told us all about how Damien could not stop gushing about Preston. It made me happy that Preston was leaving his mark on others like he has on Thea and I. Thea and I chatted with them for a little bit before they kids were taken back into the laser tag part of the building.

            Thea got called into work before we could pick Preston up so I went myself. Sam was at a play date of her own and I had plans to pick her up later tonight. When I walked into the laser tag place I walked around for a few minutes to find the kids. As I got there I heard some kids making fun of Preston for having two moms. Before I could get there to intervene Damien stood up to them. Preston and I watched as Damien told the other three boys off.