Chapter 16

It had been two whole weeks since I last saw Marcus. Unexpectedly, my everyday life had become much more boring since I left his house. Ally had kept company for the most part but boredom was starting to get the best of me.

My mom had called me several times, pestering me to know about my abrupt leaving but I'd been very smooth in avoiding her until my mom decided to pay a visit to my office yesterday.

Her bickering gave a headache to the entire office which left me with no choice but to leave in middle of the day. So I didn't go to work today to save myself from any more humiliation in case she decided to pay another visit.

I even told the security guards of this apartment complex to not let in a wild woman with eyes and hair like me.

I was scrolling through the phone, lying flat on the couch, thinking of my exasperating life. And then my life got more irritating as the phone went dark with batter running low.

How annoying. I tossed it to the arm chair and rose to my feet, deciding to do something productive once in a while.

But suddenly the lights went out. How fascinating. I went forward to retrieve my phone but realising it was dead, I let out a long sigh and turned my back to go to the door.

As I pulled it open I was shocked to see the staff running around like some mysterious creatures in the dark. Some  were bellowing orders while the others calmed the residents. It shouldn't be a surprise considering this was a high end place and power cuts were not at all usual.

I wandered further into the hall to call someone but everyone seemed busy by either running or complaining.

"What is the meaning of this? Don't you have a generator? And how can there be power cuts in this neighborhood?" A woman in a shower cap shouted at an employee who looked like he met the grim reaper.

"Miss, all the generators are broken. We don't know how but we're trying out best to get the power back as soon as possible. So it would be better if you can stay inside until everything is sorted out"

knowing that I could do nothing but wait I turned and walked back to my penthouse. But to my surprise the door was open. I vaguely remember closing although I doubt I locked it.

I went inside and took my power bank out of a drawer to charge my phone. The power bank also had it's battery running low but I hoped that it would be enough to make at least one call.

Turning my phone on, I noticed that there were many missed calls. Mostly from my mother, no surprise there. Annoyed I turned it back off and kept my phone on the dinning table and walked to the kitchen.

Suddenly a loud shattering of glass echoed from the living room.

I ran to the living room in a hurry and came to a stop seeing a glass vase lying broken on the floor. Fear struck me and I ran to the door only to realize that it was locked. I tried opening it several times but all was in vain.

As I was trying to force the door open once more, someone stepped over the shattered glass behind me. My breathing hitched, panic surging through my body. I slowly turned my head and glimpse a silhouette of a tall, bulky man, standing right behind me.

His hands reached out and I screamed out loud in fright as I dodged him and ran upstairs to hide inside my closet.

"You want to play hide and seek? Well guess what, that's my favorite game" The man chuckled in a hoarse voice.

I heard doors opening and closing and my belongings being smashed into smithereens. He was only a few rooms away, shouting my name, smashing everything he could find.

The door of my room opened and he stepped inside. He walked around, opening the bathroom door and looking under the bed.

I curled myself into a ball inside the closet and tried to shrink back to look as small as possible. I kept my head low, discreetly peeking to see the man's movements. He stepped closer to the closet and opened the door next to the mine.

I was crouching down, hiding under my floor length dresses which seemed to be doing a good job of covering me.

He came closer and opened the other closet door aggressively. He shuffled through my dresses in annoyance but without much effort or attention.

My cover under the black trench coat over me had camouflaged myself from his sight, blending me with the darkness.

He soon left my room and I released a breath in relief. And only one thought came banging in my head. I need to get to my phone.

How could I be so stupid and forget the first thing in thriller movies? Charge your phone and keep it with you.

I always used to laugh at the characters because of their stupidity. But in reality, I had become one of them.

Hearing his footsteps in the other room, I quickly sprinted downstairs on my tiptoes, trying my best not to make a sound. I exhaled another breath of relief as I saw my phone still lying on the table.

I turned it on to dial the police but my eyes widened in panic as the phone started ringing. My eyes widened, a shiver running up my spine. Footsteps came rushing down the stairs in a hurry.

Marcus was calling me and instructively, I answered the call.  Before I could cry out to him a hand yanked my hair, dragging me back to the living room.

I screamed and struggled against the man's huge hands, trying to push him away. But the strength of his muscles and his tight grip on me wasn't helping. 

"Stop struggling you bitch" He yelled in a hoarse voice.

My back scraped as it came in contact with the shattered glass. The pain shot through me like fire but I stifled my sobs. Blinking back my tears I searched for any mean of escape.

I grabbed a shard of glass from beneath me and stabbed his leg, blood dripping down to his shoe. He gave out a scream in agony and shot a murderous look at me, his eyes darkening. He pulled me up to my feet and then giving me a smirk he pushed me, smashing my head on the coffee table.

Black spots appeared in my vision, blood pooling down my face, staining my vision. Wincing in pain, I touched my forehead only to feel the warmth of blood as pain stung through me.

My eyes were fluttering closed due to blood loss. Using all my energy I tried to scramble back but he clasped my foot foot in his big hands.

"Stop fucking moving" His other hand came up to my throat and strangled me, seizing my breath I clawed at his hands, attempting to get air but life seemed to be fading away.

"Ple.. plea.." I pleaded in sobs but it only made his grip tighten further around my neck. "Shut up" He smacked my face with his large hand.

Before he could land another blow, the door was smashed in, it's hinges falling loose. Through my fading vision I saw several people striding in.

But only one of them caught my eye.

It was Marcus.

His eyes widened with fear and anger as he looked at me.

Gun shots ringed in my ear and my body was dropped to the floor. The man ran, hid behind the couch and fired several shots. More black spots appeared in my vision but I vaguely saw the man leaving, running past all the uniformed men. 

All at once the room was empty as everyone followed the man, leaving me and Marcus alone.

He slowly walked towards me. His hands shaking, sweat sticking to his face, eyes deep red in pain and fear.

Marcus scooped me up in his arms and leaned his forehead on mine, bringing me closer.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left your side. It's all my fault" His chest thundered.

Slowly I brought my hand to his cheek, holding on to the last bit of consciousness.

"You came for me"

"I'm so sorry Camilla. I'm not letting you leave again. I'll protect you" He kissed my forehead and snuggled me closer.

As strong arms led me outside, darkness invaded me.