Chapter 33

"You are hurting me mom. Why are you doing this? What did I do?" The poor boy wailed in distress as his frail body tried to balance himself again.

"You ruined my life. You don't even deserve to live" she hissed through gritted teeth and slapped the boy hard.

He fell on the floor crying his heart out.
She gripped his throat and lifted him off the ground "I had a perfect life. Yet you had to come and destroy it" she yelled in anger as she squeezed his throat tight.

"Mom please-mom" his muffled cries brought her joy while he choked on his sobs. Tears were pooling out of his eyes blurring his vision. She slammed him on the cold hard ground and walked away slamming the metal door with a loud thud.

He walked towards the small hole in the wall and stared at the gigantic pool wishing someone would save him from this sorrowful nightmare.

He snapped his head as the door creased slightly. Barbara peaked through the door and looked around to see if anyone else was in there.

She signed in relief and walked inside while looking at the boy in pain. She brought a wet cloth and dabbed on the bruises forming around the boy's neck.

"I wish I can take you with me. If I can you wouldn't have been suffering all along. I hate myself for it young master" a tear trickled down her face while she tried to control the cries escaping her lips.

"You have done a lot to me. Your husband is sick and he needs money. Don't worry about me. I'm stronger than that you think" he gave her a forced smile, trying to look better.

"You have a heart of angel young master. I'm surprised that someone as cruel as your mother gave birth to a beautiful flower like you"

He smiled at the compliment with his glossy eyes. He was still alive because of this woman. She encouraged him to keep going when all he wanted was to end all of this along with himself.

"Thank you for being here with me Barbara. But you have to leave. You are already pregnant with your second child. You can't worry about me anymore"

She looked at him in pity before rummaging through her pockets for something. She pulled out a toffee wrapped in a red cover.

"Here"

"Who gave that?" He asked already knowing from who it was.

"Your sister" Barbara giggled softly as she handed him the toffee.

"I have no sister" he looked away stubbornly refusing to take the toffee.

"But she likes to call you that. She thinks wounds will disappear with a toffee"

"How naive"

She smiled at him and stroked his chin with her thumb. "I wish you were my boy"

...

I woke up angrily. I didn't even sleep properly the entire night because Marcus had left me just like that. Every time he hides things from me I'm afraid to love him. I'm afraid of a relationship.   I'm afraid of rejection. I just wanted to understand him, to know him better so that I can help him.

I know it must be hard for him to open up but why does he always shut me out? Why is communication so bad?

Marcus had to come to this room to change since his clothes were here. So I quickly took a shower and changed into black pants and a chiffon top before dashing to the deck where everyone would be waiting.