Chapter 45

I slowly opened my eyes as I heard whispers around me. The blinding sunlight penetrating through the windows blurred my visions momentarily but quickly recovering I blinked several times to get a better sight.

I was wearing a hospital gown and several IV tubes were connected to my hands. I tried standing up but leaned back again as I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

"Oh dear. Please lean back on the pillow" My mom slowly pushed me to the bed.

I was surrounded by a doctor, several nurses, Jake, Blair, Mom and dad, Ally and Sarah.

But no Marcus.

"Mom where's Marcus?"

Mom looked at dad before looking at me in pity.

"He won't be coming"

"What do you mean he won't be coming? Didn't he come to the hospital?"

"No" My dad's voice echoed through the room. "He didn't"

I felt tears prick in my eyes. "H-he left me?"

"Yes. He left you and won't be coming back again. Now stop thinking about him and think about your health first" My father said more authoritatively, annoyed at the mention of Marcus.

"Dad that can't be" My eyes brimmed with tears as grief engulfed me. "Mom what should I do? I can't live without him. I can't-"

"Don't you remember him slapping you?" My dad asked furiously.

"Dad, he's not like that. I'm the one who triggered him" I tried explaining but my dad shook his head.

"No he was abused in the past. He only knows how to slap and hit. It was what he learned while growing up. He can't control himself. It's who he is. And I don't want you to get hurt again"

"Dad don't say such things. I know Marcus. He's not like th-"

"Oh really? You know Marcus? Then you should have knows his mom was a part of the abusing. But you didn't. He didn't want to tell you. You know nothing of him"

My heart sank realizing the truth in his words. It was true. I knew nothing of him. He didn't open up to me because he still didn't trust me or maybe he doesn't want to tell me the truth at all. But he couldn't possibly leave me like this right?

"Dad-"

"Stop. Carlton already said that he will quickly send the divorce papers. It's over now. We will do something about your company which is leaning on the Empires. But the marriage is nevertheless over"

"Please dad don't say that. You can't decide my life for me"

"I'm doing this for your best. You almost died Camilla. You almost died because of him. Don't make me repeat myself again. It is over"

Dad walked out of the room leaving me to cry in pain. Ally sat beside me and patted my back to comfort me but the pain in my heart was too much to handle.

After sharing their well wishes Ally, Blair and Sarah left leaving me with Jake and Mom.

Mom leaned beside me on the bed and hugged me. "Mom is it true? Does he not want me anymore?"

"Camilla you just came back from a surgery. Don't worry about anything else right now. Your health is important"

"M-mom I can't live without him. I messed up. I messed up" I brought a hand over my eyes to hide myself in the darkness I have brought upon me.

"Camilla you are better without him" It was the first time I heard Jake speak after I woke up.

"Jake"