Best For Last - Joseph x Reader

Warnings: none

~~~~~~

You woke up being peppered with kisses. You giggled lightly as your eyes fluttered open, falling upon your impossibly handsome boyfriend. He beamed a bright smile at you, his beautiful turquoise eyes locking with yours.

"Happy Birthday, gorgeous," Joseph said with a smile.

"Thank you," you replied.

You nuzzled your face back into his chest and let out a sigh of contentment. Joseph squirmed beneath you and you let out a groan.

"What?" You asked, irritated that he wouldn't let you go back to sleep.

"I need to get up," Joseph replied, placing a gentle kiss on top of your head.

"No. Let me sleep," you whined.

"I've been letting you sleep for the past hour and a half. But now I need to make your breakfast. Plus, I need to pee," he explained.

"Ugh, fine," you grumbled in annoyance.

You raised your head and planted a soft kiss to Joseph's lips before rolling off of him and back onto your side of the bed. You felt the weight lift off of the other side of the bed as Joseph got up. You curled up tighter underneath the covers to make up for the lack of Joseph's body heat that had been keeping you warm. You dozed off again into a brief, dreamless sleep.

A little while later, Joseph came back into the bedroom and lightly shook your shoulder to wake you. You stirred and made a slight noise to which Joseph chuckled in reply.

"(Y/N). Wake up. I made your favorite," Joseph said, stroking your hair.

"French toast?" You asked excitedly.

Joseph nodded and you smiled, instantly getting out of bed. Joseph laughed at how eager you were before taking your hand in his and leading you downstairs to the kitchen.

The two of you ate a delicious breakfast, courtesy of Joseph and his oddly incredible cooking skills. While you stuffed your face with French toast and bacon, Joseph struck up a conversation.

"It really stinks that you still have to go into work on your birthday," Joseph said.

"Believe me, I know. If it were up to me, we never would've left that bed this morning," you sighed.

Joseph's eyes widened in surprise for a moment before he smirked at you devilishly. You caught on and immediately giggled, telling him to get his mind out of the gutter. Of course, he teased you back flirtatiously, and you would be lying if you said there weren't some underlying implications in your statement.

"At least we have dinner tonight," you said with a smile. You, Joseph, and all of your friends were going out for dinner together at your favorite restaurant to celebrate your birthday. It was the only thing keeping you motivated as you got ready for work that day.

"I'll see you later," you told Joseph on your way out the door, placing a delicate kiss on his cheek as you walked past.

Work was incredibly slow that day. Painfully slow. All you wanted was to go home, or at least spend your birthday somewhere fun. Your coworkers passed by and occasionally said Happy Birthday, but it wasn't much of a consolation for the hours you had to spend in your office.

Finally, the work day came to a close. You grabbed your things and headed out quickly, rushing home to change before dinner. You arrived home to an empty house, seeing as Joseph was still at work himself. You went upstairs to change out of your bland work attire into a beautiful dress. You selected the perfect accessories and sat down at your vanity to touch up your makeup. In the mirror above your vanity, you watched Joseph enter the room.