Chap 60: What Am I Gonna Do?

In the last chapter~
-Imani has an awful dream about her uncle
-She wakes up and thinks that her father has found her
-Nick explains everything
-Nick wants to talk to Imani about what happened the day before

Imani's POV

Before I could even grasp what was going on, I found myself in a tight hug with Nick's head in the crook of my neck...

“H-huh?” I began.

“Sweetheart...” Nick sighed. “I'm so sorry you had to live the way you did. There are so many things that your father and your uncle were wrong about. And the things they said to you were one of them. You are not selfish! You're so far from it! And I don't ever want to hear you say those words again! Your one of the kindest people I know and I know for a fact that a whole lot of people agree with me 100%, ” he smiled and ruffled my hair.

“You're also not stupid. You are a very smart and intelligent young woman. You know when things aren't right or when someone isn't feeling good and you know exactly what to say to them. It's amazing actually, I bet you teach me something new every day, ” he challenged. He began to get more dramatic and I fought to keep my smile at bay.

“And don't you ever say that you are not beautiful. Tesero, you have never NOT been beautiful, ” he gasped. His Italian accent was thicker than normal. “Sì, your smile? Magnifica!” he cheesed and tickled me, forcing all the laughs I kept in out.

“Nick stop!” I laughed.

“Especially when paired with your laugh! Dolcezza, you are literally an angel! A beautiful, kind, and smart angel!” he continued. “And if anyone ever says differently, I will personally think kil-beat them up myself!”

“Haha! Please s-stop!” I begged.

“Only when you say that I'm right, ” he refused.

“N-nick I-I can't breath!” I laughed.

“Just say I'm right then, " he shrugged. “I don't know about you but I can keep this up for a while.”

“F-fine!” I gasped. “You're r-right!”

“See? That wasn't that hard, ” he smiled and stopped.

“Uh...huh, " I rolled my eyes as I fought to catch my breath.

“Don't roll your eyes at me, ” he stuck his tongue out at me. “But for real, all jokes aside, I'm serious about what I said. Don't let those two bastards get in the way of loving yourself.”

“Yes, sir, ” I sighed and smiled. “I promise to learn to love myself.”

“That's what I want to hear, ” he smiled.

*Bring* *Bring*

Nick's phone went off. When he pulled it out his face looked confused.

“Who is it?” I asked him.

“Johnny from my...company, ” he replied.

“Johnny? What is it?” he answered.

“W...woah! Wait! Wait, calm down! What?” Nick asked in confusion. “Speak slower! Uh-huh, what about him?... They what?... They what?!” he raised his voice. “Where are they now?!”

What the hell is going on?

Nick quickly looked up at me and I saw anger and a little bit of fear in his eyes.

“Sh*t! Damn it! I'm on my way!” he growled.

He hurriedly hung up the phone and began collecting his stuff.