chapter 6

I was following Steve through building to building, chasing Bucky as if he was a stranger. We kept on running until we jumped through a window to the roof of a building, Bucky running away. Steve threw his shield at him and Bucky turned to catch it in one swift move. Bucky looked at me and I think he smiled. It was hard to tell cuz of the muzzle but his eyes squinted slightly before he looked at Steve and threw it back harder at him, causing him to skid backwards a bit. I looked at Steve then back to where Bucky was but he was gone.

~~~~~

Nat ran into the room where me and Steve were waiting and watching as Nick was getting stitched up.

"Is he gonna make it?" Nat asked, very disturbed.

"I don't know" Steve answered.

I just stood there silently listening.

"Tell me about the shooter" Nat asked.

"He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm."

Maria them came forward to the window.

"Ballistics?" Nat asked, her gaze staying on Nick the whole time.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable" Maria said, her gaze lingering on Nick aswell.

"Soviet-made"

"Yeah" Maria replied, looking at Nat.

The doctors started moving around and got a defibrillator.

"Don't do this to me, Nick" I heard Nat say.

They used the defibrillator, 100. No pulse. they tried again, this time 200. Still no pulse.

"Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this" I heard her repeat.

Steve just walked away. I could see Maria crying and I think Nat was too. It hurt so much to watch this. I couldn't tell anyone anything. I just had to wait for the right moment.

After a while, me, Nat and Steve were next to Nick's body. We were all silent, we didn't say anything. There was nothing to say. Maria came in and went next to Steve.

"I need to take him" she said.

Steve went to Nat and called her name. I knew she felt like she was going to burst out in tears, but she didn't want to. That was strong enough to hold back the tears. She touched his head and walked out. I went after her and Steve followed, though Steve called out her name before I could, causing her to turn around.

"Why was Fury in your guys' apartment?" she asked quickly. Steve sighed before he spoke.

"I don't know"

Rumlow came up and spoke to Steve and me.

"Cap, Y/N, they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D"

"Yeah, give me a second" Steve replied.

"They want you now" Rumlow said quickly.

"Okay" Steve said calmly, turning back to Nat.

"You're a terrible liar" Nat said and smiled, before putting on a serious face and leaving.

"Steve, it's okay. Everything is going to be okay"

~~~~~

Me and Steve followed Rumlow to Pierce's office with our suits on. Sharon was there too.

"Captain Rogers" She said, walking towards Steve.

"Neighbor" He said as they passed each other. I held back a laugh.

"Oh. Captain, Y/N. I'm Alexander Pierce"

"Sir, it's an honor" I say, trying to be as normal as possible. Inside, I wanted to murder him

"The honor's mine, Y/N." he looked at Steve"My father served in the 101st. Come on in."

We walked into his huge-ass office, and sat down beside him.

"That picture was taken 5 years after Nick and I met when I was in State Department in Bogota" Pierce said while Steve and I looked at a photo of Nick and himself.

"E.L.N rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was Deputy Chief of the S.H.I.E.L.D station there, and he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, 'No, we'll negotiate'. Turned out, the E.L.N didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They stormed the basement, and what do they find? They found it empty."

Pierce put a lot of files on the table before continuing.

"Nick had ignored my direct order, and carried out an unauthorised military operation on  foreign soil, and saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."

"So you gave him a promotion" Steve said.

"I've never had any cause to regret it. Captain, why was Nick in you two's apartment?"I thought this would go on forever. Steve shook his head before saying,

"I don't know"

"Did you know it was bugged?"

"We did, because Nick told us"

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it?"

They just stared at each other while I was looking out the window, trying not to cause to much attention to myself.

"I want you to see something" He said a moment later.

Pierce showed us a live video of Batroc being questioned. He then started hinting that Nick was the one who hired the pirates.

"The prevailing theory was that the hijacking was a cover for the acquisition and sale of classified intelligence. The sale went sour and that led to Nick's death." I wanted to say that he was wrong, that he was the one who did everything and that he was HYDRA but I kept my mouth shut as hard as I could. I only opened it to say this,

"If you really knew Nick fury, you'd know that's not true"

"Why do you think we're talking?" Pierce stood up and walked to the window.

"See, I took a seat on the council not because I wanted to, but because Nick asked me too, because we were both realists. We knew that despite all the diplomacy and the handshaking and the rhetoric, that to build a really better world sometimes means having to tear the old one down. And that makes enemies. Those people that call you both dirty because you have the guts to stick your hands in the mud and try to build something better. And the idea that those people could be happy today makes me really, really angry. Captain, Y/N, you were the last ones to see Nick alive. I don't think that's an accident. And I don't think you two do, either. So, I'm gonna ask again. Why was he there?"

"He told us not to trust anyone" Steve answered.

"I wonder if that included him." Pierce said

"I'm sorry. Those were his last words." I say letting a fake tear escape my face so I could excuse myself. He let me go, but not before saying,

"Y/N, Captain, someone murdered my friend and I'm gonna find out why. Anyone get's in my way, they're gonna regret it. Anyone."

"Understood" Steve said before we both went outside.