chapter 17

"Lab's all set up, boss" Maria says, directed to dad.

"Oh, actually, he's the boss. I just pay for everything and design everything and make everyone look cooler" dad says back, getting up to leave.

"What's the word on Strucker?" I ask following Steve and Maria. It really hurts but I try not to show it. I stumble a bit as I walk.

"NATO's got him"

"The 2 Enhanced?" Steve asked.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at 10 when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special, but it's on the way to everywhere special" Maria answered.

"Their abilities?" Steve asked.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neuroelectric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation" Steve looked at her confused.

"He's fast and she's weird" I say.

Steve looks at me and I smirk. He looks back at the tablet.

"Well, they're gonna show up again"

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts" Me and Steve get in the elevator.

"Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve asked.

"We're not at war, Captain" Maria says to Steve.

"They are" I say before the elevator door closed.

~~~~~

"But, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the general's palace, drop it at his feet. I'm, like, 'Boom, you looking for this?'" there is an awkward silence and I look at my drink "'Boom. Are you looking for...' why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else, that story kills" Rhodey continues.

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked.

"Yeah, it's a War Machine story"

"Oh, it's very good, then. It's impressive"

"Quality save" I say, taking a sip of my drink

"So, no Pepper? She's not coming?" Rhodey asked.

"No" dad replied.

"What about Jane? Where are the ladies, gentlemen? I heard you had a boyfriend. Not coming?"

"You told people I had a boyfriend?!" I asked, turning to dad.

"You never said I couldn't"

"Okay, you can't tell people I have a boyfriend. End of this discussion"

"Fine. Anyway, Ms Potts has a company to run" dad says.

"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in. Her work on the Convergence had made her the world's foremost astronomer" Thor challenges.

"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on Earth. It's pretty exciting"

"There's even talk of Jane getting a, um, Nobel Prize"

"My boyfriend, I don't even have his number. I should probably look into that. He's also in hiding, so, I got that going for me" I say, trying to break up the conversation.

"Yeah, they must be busy because they would hate missing you guys get together" Maria says "Testosterone!" she coughs.

"Oh, my goodness"