chapter 8

Me and Steve were walking through the hospital, where Nick was confirmed dead, undercover. We went up to the vending machine where Steve put the flash drive Nick gave him. Steve was confused when it wasn't there and I remembered that I took it and placed it somewhere safe, with me.

"Oh, right, sorry, I took it back from there, knowing we would need it."

"Where is it?"

"Don't worry, I have it with me. Never let it out of my sight."

I pulled it out from my secret pocket and Steve looked so relieved. I'm surprised it isn't damaged, and glad. I would've killed myself if it was damaged. I pulled him to the side and started talking.

"Listen, I know who killed Nick."

"Who?"

"You won't believe me if I told you, you'll see for yourself later, right now we have to go and put this in a computer. This man, they call him The Winter Soldier. He's a ghost story but we've seen him in action before, and he's misunderstood. I know you'll know that once you see who he is."

"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants"

~~~~~

Me and Steve are walking in the mall, undercover.

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk" I say to Steve. He is obviously nervous.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off" Steve said, causing me to chuckle.

We go to an Apple store and use one of the computers.

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up S.H.I.E.L.D, we'll know exactly where we are."

"How much time will we have?" Steve asked.

"About 9 minutes from... now" I say as I plug in the flash drive.

"Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands"

"Can you override it?" 

"The person who developed this has no idea who they're messing with. I'm gonna run a tracer. This is a program that S.H.I.E.L.D developed to track hostile malware, so, even if we can't read the file, We can definitely find out where it came from."

"Can I help you guys with anything?" a store clerk asked.

"Oh, no. My fiance was just helping me with some honeymoon destinations." I say, holding Steve's waist. I kiss his cheek then go back to the computer before time runs out.

"Right. We're getting married"

"Congratulations. Where are you guys thinking about going?"

Steve looks at the screen and it says New Jersey.

"New Jersey"

"Oh"

I look up for a moment and see the guy looking intensely at Steve.

"I have the exact same glasses"

"Wow, you two are practically twins" I say, sarcasm filled my voice, still working on the computer.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen. If you guys need anything, I've been Aaron"

"Thank you" Steve says before Aaron walks off.

"You said 9 minutes. Come on"

"Relax. Got it" The screen zoomed in to the place where Steve used to train in the army. I sigh.

"You know it" I say, looking up at Steve.

"Yeah, I used to. Let's go"

Steve grabs the flash drive and we walk out the store.

"Standard tac team. Two behind, two across, and two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you hit the south escalator to the metro" Steve said.

"Shut up and put your arm around me. Laugh at something I said."

"What?"

"Do it"

Steve then put his arm on my shoulder and started laughing when a S.H.I.E.L.D agent walked past us.

"How are you so good at this?" Steve asked.

"When your someone like me and you don't want to be seen, you'll know"

We were going down an escalator when I see Rumlow on the opposite side going up. I turn around to look at Steve.

"Kiss me"

"What? That's so awkward"

"I know it is but it doesn't matter, public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable"

"Yes, they do"

I lean forward and kiss Steve, putting my hand on his cheek, covering his face. Rumlow goes past us and looks away. I pull back and walk down the escalator.

"You still uncomfortable?"

"It's not exactly the word I would use" Steve says, following me down.

~~~~~

We drive past a sign that says Welcome to New Jersey.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" I asked, looking at Steve.

"Nazi Germany"

I hummed in response.

"And we're borrowing"

"Alright, I have a question for you, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, your kind of answering it, you know"

"What?" Steve asks as soon as I finish speaking.

"What that your first kiss since 1945?" I say, turning to him.

"That bad, huh?"

"I didn't say that"

"Well it kinda sounds like that's what you're saying"

"No, I didn't. It would have been nice it we weren't so close, you know. Were like brother and sister so it felt weird"

"Listen, it was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95, I'm not dead"

"Look, if it makes you feel any better, that was my second kiss."

"Really? Unbelievable"

"Oh look, Captain America is judging a kiss"

"That's not what I'm doing" Steve protests.

"Well, it kinda sounds like that's what your doing" I say sarcastically.

"Nobody special, though?" I continue. Steve just chuckled.

"What, a girl should consider herself lucky to be with Steve Rogers" I say.

"Don't you mean Captain America"

"No, I mean Steve Rogers" Steve smiled.

"What about you?" Steve asked, shifting the attention.

"Me? I got someone in mind"

"Who? Is he your first kiss?" 

"Let's just say, you know him pretty well. And yes"

"Is it one of the avengers?"

"Oh, god no. Reason 1: Thor likes someone else, Bruce, I know he likes someone else, Clint, no, you'll see why later, dad, obviously no, and you, your my brother. And reason 2: I don't like any of them like that."

"Come on, just tell me. Please?"

"Just wait. Oh and I need to tell you something. I forgot to earlier. It's about my 'emergency' with Nick"

"okay, go ahead."