First Snow | j.sc

You tilted your head to the sky

You tilted your head to the sky. It was a cloudy evening and you just got out of your shift in the coffee shop.

"Do you want a ride, (y/n)?"

You turned around and saw Hyejun in her motorbike.

"No, thank you." You bowed.

"C'mon! It's probably going to snow. The trains would be closing early." Hyejun revved her bike.

You smiled at her and shook your head still. She gave you a shrug and rode down the cold streets.

You glanced up at the streetlights and they were fogged up by the cool air.

Two blocks away till you enter the station, but a sight caught your attention. You saw an old lady carrying her wagon up the hill. It was fairly fine, until you've made eye contact.

She gave you a warm smile and wiped her forehead before continuing to drag it up.

Pursing your lips, you clenched your fists and took a last glance at the stairs.

"Just a minute won't hurt." You convinced yourself, running to the old lady.

"Oh!" She gasped at your cold hands that grazed hers.

"I'll take it from here." You took the wooden handles and turned it over to push it up instead.

"Such a kind soul. Bless you, dear." The woman praised, walking in weak steps behind you.

"You shouldn't be working this late of hour. The snow will fall tonight, stay warm." You huffed, stopping when you reached the top.

"Be safe on your way home!" The woman gestured a wave before conveniently bringing her cart with her. You smiled at her back figure, sighing and wiping your face.

Your eyes widened, a string of curses leaving your mouth when you remembered the train. You jogged step-by-step down the stairs and saw the train doors closing.

"Wait! No, stop please!" You yelled, but the train already ascended into the narrow passageway.

You catch your breath, stopping before the yellow painted tiles just before the railings.

"Ah." A grunt escaped your lips as you held the top of your head.

You eyed left and right and saw no one in the station. A heavy sigh left you, bringing you out of the station to contemplate further.

You were greeted by the empty streets. It was a Sunday night and no one would've stayed 'till 3am.

You started heading to the nearest motel, your heart pulsating once you heard another pair joining you.

Your cold hands shook, causing you to tuck them in your padded jacket.

The footsteps behind you didn't go away, making you turn around with an agitated sigh.