The task

Is that how he really felt?

I stood there and let those words hit me in the chest like a bullet.

I felt myself becoming weak, drowsy, and I suddenly fell to my knees. My body was unable to hold me up anymore.

Before he disappeared up the stairs I attempted to get more words out.

"I tried for you, and I was foolish enough to believe you felt the same. Its true what they say then, you are really as cruel as you are handsome."

I don't look up but I know my words would stop him in his tracks.

I hear him say something quietly to himself, but I couldn't make out what it was that he said.

I look up and see he has disappeared into the darkness of the staircase. I sat there sobbing silently as I replayed the previous moment of me loosing the boy who never knew how to love.

My heart shattered. I should have listened to my mother.

I don't leave the common room at all for the rest of the morning. I remained seated at the couch looking into nothingness. I walked over to the window and watched the dark water become easier to see as the morning sun rose up in the sky.

I decided to skip my classes to still process what had happened last night.

I wasn't sure if I just imagined it all because of how surreal it felt.

As other students made there way down the stairs into the dining hall, I watch Draco hurry to the Slytherin door with Blaise and Pansy tracing behind him.

As Draco and Pansy rushed out of the room, Blaise stopped and turned to me, "Im sorry." He says before he left and then he disappeared out of the door like everyone else.

The day goes by and i'm incapable of showing up to my classes. It felt like such a bother, a bore, and simply a waste of time.

I was alone now, how I was before.

---
Days later

One evening as I make my way up to my room, I get a quick glance at the time, and noticed it to be 11:12pm. I slowly make my way in my room and shut the door. As I do this I hear a familiar voice say "darling."

I turn around and to my surprise I see my mother standing a couple of feet before me.

Her arms were wide open as I rush my way into her warm embrace.

"Mum." I say softly.

I pull away from her hug and her hand meets my cheek and she rubs it, "Ive heard about what that Malfoy has done to you, and im sorry dear."

"It's for the best mother." I tell her but the truth was I was on the verge of breaking inside.

I had always been able to push away the pain and numb it all, but that only went so far. Now I have gotten to the point where it felt like I used all my energy to hide my emotions.

As I sat and talked quietly with my mother, my mark began to burn heavily. I groan in pain and roll up my sleeve, to find my mark burning bright red.

"Mum?" I ask with pain withering in my voice.

"Thats why I am here darling, the Dark Lord needs us and we must go, now."

I hurry to get dressed in proper attire and my mother transports us to the Malfoy Manor.

We walk into the the room and I notice very few death eaters among us. I take a seat at the long table.

My eyes made there way all around the table but soon stopped when they saw him.

Draco.

He sat in his black suit with his head tilted down next to Narcissa, his mother.

Draco and I haven't spoke since that night in the common room. I didn't really want to speak to him. Luckily I rarely saw him as well which made it easier for myself. If I were to see him a lot, I know I would if been 10 times more hurt and missing him.

Soon the Dark Lord appears at the head of the table.

"Welcome, those who I have chosen to meet with." He says in a raspy voice.

I look up to him and find Snape sitting beside him giving me a deathly glare.

My gaze breaks from Snape when the Dark Lord begins to speak.

"I have asked you here for an important task. A task which I have assigned the two newest and brightest members to complete for me."

I hear claps emerge from around me. I feel my body tense up as the Dark Lord begins to go more in depth of the task.

"This will test your will to continue to be apart of this army, This will test your determinations to not fail me. If you do fail me, you will be banished." He says.

I began to look around the table and my eyes meet Draco's. We share the first eye contact between us two, in a very long time.

When I looked into his eyes, I felt my troubles disappear, my body began to fill with ease, and my heart beat became one with his.

He seemed hesitant to continue to look into my eyes, for I found them to begin to look glossy. So he kept looking, and when he blinked, I saw a singular tear emit from his left eye onto his cheek, and then he broke away from our stare and looked back down to his lap.

I turn my attention away from him and back to the Lord. I watch him as he eyes me and then Draco.

"Stormont, Draco, you two will follow through with this task. If you back down or have any trouble doing as my instructions advised, you two will not see another day." and with that grew a cold smile that showed his rotted teeth.

I look at Draco, who looked back at me and we both shared the same scared expression. We both turn back to the Dark Lord, eager to know this task that was assigned to us.

As I sit down at the long table among fellow deatheaters, my anxiety heightens as I wait impatiently to know what this task was.

"Are you sure these two are fit for this ordeal? They are the new recruits after all." I hear Snape ask.

"Severus, are you questioning my choice of selection?" The Dark Lord asks coldly.

"No, not at all, my Lord. I believe in order to follow though with thus, they need to be accompanied by the elder recruits, ones who will guide them to follow through with this task." He says as he glances over to me.

I watch as the Dark Lord thinks for a minute, taking Snape's thought into consideration and a smile emitted from his mouth yet again.

"Bellatrix, Greyback, will you accompany Snape with guiding these two?"

They both nod and the Lord proceeds to inform us as to what we will be doing.

I casually glance at Draco every so often and everytime I look over, more color seems to fade but mine soon faded as well as we both hear what we will need to do to complete this task.