Fork

The four travelers finally reached something that wasn't empty and encaptured in snow. They stood just outside a large cave that appeared familiar only to one member of the group. 

The sight was as daunting as a ghoul, a dark void with nothing but pure silence being emitted from its mouth. The eerie feeling of being watched irked the hairs on the back of their necks as if a million eyes stuck to them like glue. The violent winds of the mountain whistled into the hollow cave.

"This is it." Maka said.

Maka knew what lay ahead of the black hole before them, but warning them wouldn't be enough to prepare them. 

Pierre was surprised at the size of the large gape, he murmured, "Woah... This cave is huge..." 

"Just how many of those things are in there..." Alucard said.

With the size of the entrance, he imagined it was far too many just beneath the gates of hell, one or two of the miniature snowmen were troublesome, but an army, that would be insufferable to the party. 

"I don't know..." Maka said.

Maka couldn't give them an estimate even if she wanted to, she can only go off what she witnessed before meeting them. William, on the other hand, felt the nerves of his comrades and wanted to do what was right to keep them safe.

"We should leave our stuff outside..." William said.

"That's actually a good idea. Alright." Maka said. 

The party released the heavy weight from their backs, dropping them into the snow below. The snow level outside of the cave was minuscule in comparison to the trek there, the sound of stone beneath the surface rang just as the bags landed. Dasos flapped from Pierre's shoulder onto the pile of luggage, laying guard to the belongings that will be left behind.

Good luck, Dasos communicated to William.

William, shocked at Dasos' action, being that the idea to drop the belongings sourced from his scaly companion, only to be used as a plump cushion of slumber. 

"Hey! You just wanted to sleep on something!!" William shouted at Dasos.

Pierre watched the hollow crater, and swallowed his saliva at the sight, then said, "Well, we made it this far, we should head in."

The group didn't wait up and enter the cave. They walked through the entrance, and felt the eyes of a million on their location, although all they saw was the barren cave surroundings. Small creatures continued to view the intruders through the cracks and crevices of the cave. 

Scattering about, tethering against the hard surface, emitting the echoes of demons crawling. Whispering amongst each other, unrecognizable in their slight tone. Any sane person would depart as soon as they entered, but this party, in particular, had a goal in sight.

"How do they go around in this place, it's so dark..." William said.

William wasn't as alert as his friends, arms laid back gently over his shoulders in a relaxed state, as if the horrors of the night meant nothing to him. Maka, on the other hand, was more alert than her contemporary, pupils bouncing about from wall to wall.

"We should also be cautious of any traps." Maka said. 

As soon as Maka finished her words, Alucard smelled something that piqued his nostrils for a second sniff. "Hm? Uh, guys—I think we got company." Alucard said.

"Huh?" Maka questioned. 

They felt the presence of a large creature that appeared just like the small furballs, but this one was at least 10 feet tall and 15 feet wide. It stood behind the travelers along with a group of the smaller pesky snowballs. The group looked back at the large daunting yet adorable creature, and the only thing they could do was pause in jaw-dropping fashion at the size of it.