The Hunt For The Elasmo

William and Alucard trekked through the heavy forest, cracking dead leaves and branches with each step. They proceeded into the depths of the forest with one goal in mind, to find the dangerous Elasmo. 

William continued to walk with his comrade, and looked at him with an idea waiting to be spit from his mouth, "Do you smell anything?" 

Alucard remained calm, walking alongside William with his hands in his pockets, "Yeah... It smells like crap out here..." 

"Maybe that's the Elasmo!" William shouted.

He was eager to eat, holding nothing back in their hunt for the beast. Alucard wasn't as desperate, hunger wasn't the same to him. He never understood an appetite for food, and since he is of pure blood, he doesn't need blood as often as an infected vampire. 

"Or maybe it just stinks out here..." Alucard said. 

He continued to walk forward, unaware of his comrade halting his progress. A sudden halt was uncharacteristic of William, who had been starving moments prior. What was more important than filling his stomach?

William glanced at the young vampire's back, and softly said, "Hey Alucard..."

Alucard froze his footsteps and gently glanced back at his friend. His head was to the side, and his pupil reached the corner of his eye, laying onto William's location. 

"Yeah?" Alucard asked.

William put his head down, showing sincerity in his words that were yet to be said. "I'm sorry about before..." 

Alucard shrugged, he didn't see the issue with William's stunt that caused disciplinary action from their teacher, a lesson was learned by both of them, after all. 

"It's ok, you could never—" Alucard said before cut short.

"It won't happen again." William's face was stained with commitment, and his resolve was fierce, "Hurting my friends is the last thing I want to do—I don't know what I'd do if I hurt you, Alucard..." 

He's serious..., Alucard thought, then put his head down, the same as his comrade, "C'mon... You're making it embarrassing now..." 

Every time you speak, you remind me of why I made the best decision of my life... Why following you could be the farthest thing from a mistake—Every word, every smile—It all makes me want this to never end...

"What's wrong? You're like my best friend!" William shouted.

William catches up to Alucard and continues walking as if nothing was said, taking the lead on their journey for the Elasmo. Alucard remained still like a statue, glancing down at his feet but lost, not considering where his eyes lay. 

"Wow—I'm... I'm your best friend..." Alucard murmured.

William shrugged, and continued walking, "Yeah!" 

Alucard resumes walking after being inflicted with Medusa's gaze, remaining stuck in his head from the enduring words of his comrade.

I've never had friends before let alone... a best friend..., Alucard thought, then murmured, "Best friend..." 

William stops just ahead of Alucard, his eyes weren't elusive to reality much like his comrades, and Alucard bumps into his back, being pulled back from his emotional state. 

"Hm? What happened?" Alucard asked.

William stood still, "Look..." he murmured.

William's eyes caught a large print on the ground, it appeared like an oval hoof. The dirt was soft and sloppy, brown mushed between dead grass shaping the print.