lxxxvii. start of the end

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻𝒀 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵
❝ 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒅 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

WHEN VERA NEXT AWAKENS, ARAGORN is fast asleep

Vera didn't even remember slipping into consciousness, nor does she remember most of what happened the night before. The more days pass, the more Vera feels her symptoms more clearly. The brunette notices that her fatigue and exhaustion normally breeds a memory loss in the morning and some additional morning sickness — but that is a rare occurrence, and Vera is just appreciating that fact before it becomes more common. The mermaid didn't even know the symptoms that come with carrying a mermaid-royal-elven baby in her womb...as far as she knew, it has never happened before.

Aragorn had propped his head drowsily on her shoulder (when she had awoken, her head was on top of his; it was a rather strange position but they found comfort in it — Vera believes it has more to do with the fact that they had done the same thing throughout their journey.) Vera's shoulder is a little numb from the lack of movement or blood circulation throughout the night. Still, she manages to find control over her neck action and head behavior, allowing her to shift comfortably under the weight of Aragorn's body.

Vera groans a little at the drool dripping off his chin, running down his cheek, and uses the sleeves of his clothes to wipe it off. What a child. Arwen would be happy.

The mermaid smiles sadly, a little; she misses Arwen and briefly wonders if she is alright. In fact, Vera thought about her friends for a long time that early morning.

She had changed her position so she was facing the mountain view once more, Aragorn's head slipping back onto her shoulder once more, still fast asleep and very much unconscious. Vera didn't mind; she needed the silence for a while. It seemed rather early as the sun was barely out and the palest shades of blue covered the sky, indicating that morning would soon appear. Vera took the time she had to think. Just think for a moment. Reflect.

From the innocent and gullible mermaid princess from the ocean arriving on land, attempting to find a new purpose and achieve a goal she needed for her people. Her only intentions — in her mind, at least — was to shield her people from any danger and darkness, which is why she attended that meeting. But that was the start of her life; a change that she could never reverse, a change that she cannot regret.

The friends she has, the family she gained, the love she felt...it was all so overwhelming. But she did not regret it, nor did she resent it. Her dear little Hobbit friends — Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin — how she wishes they remain strong in the wake of evil. Her Ranger brother and her Dwarf companion; the ones who showed her the realities of a life on land. Arwen and Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel and Gandalf; the elders who have shown her that there is another meaning to life. Princess Hope; the elf princess who warmed her resolve just by thinking about her. Her family under the sea; her family in Rohan; her family around her now.