Birthday

Staring at his peacefully sleeping body gives me mixed feelings. This is all I've actually asked of him and he decides to give it selfishly. I'm positive he's sleeping, because I've heard his phone vibrate multiple times and he's made no move towards it. I take a deep breath, roll onto my back, stare at the ceiling as I recall the night. Damn, I could be Florida right now sipping and giggling with my friends, but I'm lying here with Adonis ( Or as my sister calls him "the ghost"). Your probably wondering what's the problem laying next to a handsome man instead v.s spending time with your friends on your birthday? They should understand   unless they miserable themselves right?! Wrong. Lol, let me bring you up to speed real quick so you can see where my head is at.

My birthday is today. Me and my friends have been making plans for the past few months to go to Florida, because we all have birthdays around the same time. We were gonna do it up right, OK!  First class flights, Presidential suites in a five star hotel room, Chauffeured luxury Cadillac to see the sites so we could get hammered as we pleased, Spa and masseuse treatments, reservations at the finest restaurants, shopping sprees, all that....
So when my phone rings bright and early at 7:30 am I have a huge smile on my face as I answer. "Hey My Lady!" ( That's what we call my mom). "Happy birthday to yooouuu...." she begins to sing as I stretch and wipe the sleep from my eyes. "Aww thank you! Your always the first to wish me a happy birthday." There was a small silence and she cleared her throat. "So, um Adonis didn't...." I cut her off real quick. "No man, today's about me though. I'm gonna go enjoy myself, like a 28yr old woman should do." She chuckled a bit before responding "As you should. I wish I had as much confidence as you have."  Finally dropping my legs off the side of the bed in an attempt to get up " Mom, I have no idea how you don't? Everyone says I look just like you, so how could you believe me so beautiful and think less of yourself, unless you just been telling me I'm beautiful all these years to gas my head up?" I asked with a smile as I made my way towards the kitchen. I washed my hands and rinsed the coffee pot before spooning 4 big heaps of the caramel flavored grounds and adding 5 cold cups of water before going into the bathroom to get my morning routine started. We chatted a few minutes longer while I used the bathroom. Then I told her I'd call her later and began pouring my creamer and sugar into my coffee cup. I pulled out the pillsbury biscuits, turkey bacon and one from the fridge. Walking into the livingroom I set my phone into to bose bluetooth speaker and turned it on pandora. Happily I danced around the kitchen sipping my coffee and making breakfast as I thought about all the things I would be doing over the next week. Me, Johana, Malik, Jeannette, Chad, and Regina were all taking our two weeks paid vacation from work to celebrate us. This was my circle and we deserved this break, because we work damn hard on a day to day basis.

The egg was boiling, the biscuits were baking and I had turkey bacon on the griddle while I cut up my cantaloupe. My music was interrupted by a txt message. "And it begins." I said shaking my head while I made my way to look at the phone. I have a lot of family and family and I'm  cool with almost all my coworkers, so holidays and birthdays my phone would ring nonstop. My smile, faded a bit when I read the bland  "happy born day" from Adonis. I sucked my teeth and went about my business of finishing up breakfast. I had just finished putting everything on my plate, when my doorbell rang. I grabbed a piece of bacon and begin to eat it as I made my way to the door.

I didn't even need to ask, I knew it was Johana coming over for our morning run. The fact that I was wearing a sports bra and lacey boy shorts didn't make a difference, we had been friends for ever. I quickly regret not grabbing my robe when she smack me on my ass hard as she could. "Fuck!" I hollered, mean mugged her and went to my room to get my terry cloth robe. "All that ass in them jeans!" She started singing and laughing. "I can't stand you  Johana!" I barely got the statement out before she hopped on me. "You know you love me!! Anyways that was just your birthday licks all balled up I to one." I playfully pushed her away and tried to stop her from kissing all over my face and hugging on me. "I swear I wonder sometimes if you playing for the other team." I taunted her jokingly as we both made our way to the kitchen. Taking off her jacket she put it on the back of one of the dinning room chairs and started washing her hands. I  pulled the toaster down off the shelf and sat down to say my grace before starting my breakfast. As much as she clowns around, she's always respectful when it comes to spirituality, so she was quite until I was done "Amen" we both said in unison. "So you know I gotta check your suitcase right?" She began as she took a cinnamon raisin bagel out the fridge and put it n the toast. " Mm..girl, I know how to pack, I know what to wear." Stealing a cantaloupe from my bowel she looked me dead in the eye " Yes, to the office." Wiping my mouth with a napkin " I do know what to wear in Florida miss....bathing suits!" We both bust out laughing as I watched her grab the cream cheese from the fridge and make her to the toaster. We spent the next 20 mins laughing about me dressing conservatively at the wrong moments while we finished up breakfast.