You/Annie Leonhart - Training Part 1

(Attack on Titan)

You weren't the best in the class but you weren't the worse. The only thing that was keeping you from being the worst was the extra training sessions that your girlfriend, Annie, insisted on giving you. 

"Again, you need to pay more attention to any of my tells."

"Annie, this is stupid. Why do you insist on these lessons? You've said it yourself, hand to hand combat is stupid. I'm not going to fight a titan with my hands."

She glares at you, pulling out the wooden knife that they handed everyone to practice with. 

"This is important, (y/n). You might not fight titans with your hands but it's necessary to learn how to protect yourself."

"To protect myself? Why would I need to learn how to protect myself? We're supposed to be fighting titans."

Annie seems to take personal offense into this as she rushes to you and knocking you down with a single move. She grabs both of your arms, raising them over your head with one of her hands. With her free one, she holds the knife against your throat. 

"This is why you need to learn how to protect yourself. You couldn't even stop me from knocking you down."

"What the hell, Annie!? You didn't give me a warning! How was I supposed to know that you were going to attack me?"

She narrows her eyes at you before shaking her head and climbing off of you. 

"I'm not always going to be there to protect you, (y/n)."

You were already standing, dusting off the dirt on your shirt and pants. 

"Annie, I don't understand why you keep talking about protecting myself. What aren't you telling me?" For a second, it looked like Annie was going to say something but she just turned around and started making her way back to the cabins. "Annie! Talk to me. Please, you've been distant for the past two weeks. We've only talked during these training sessions and then you leave to who knows where."

Annie just kept walking, completely ignoring everything that you had said. Not wanting for her to leave without an answer, you ran up to grab her arm to stop her from walking further. Like before, Annie knocked you down with a single move. Your back hits the ground, hard enough to knock the wind out of you but she doesn't seem to care. 

"Stay out of my business."

Annie's voice falters in the end when she notices the tears forming in her eyes. She hated herself for what she was doing but it was the only way to keep you safe. All she could focus on was keeping you safe. 

You had known her since the beginning of training, so you could tell that something was off. Despite the world of pain that you were in, you paid no attention to it as you talked. 

"You're not acting like yourself. I don't know what's going on but you know that you can trust me, Annie."

Her eyes soften for just a second before they turn cold again. 

"I told you to stay out of my business. What don't you understand?"

You couldn't take this anymore. If she wanted you out of her business, you were going to stay of her business. 

"F...fine. Then we're over." You're able to easily push her off as her hold on you had loosened. Annie sits up, looking surprised about what just happened. You looked at her for what felt like the longest time but she didn't say anything. "I'm trading beds with Sasha so I can stay out of your business."

Again, Annie stays quiet. You had hoped for her to say something to you but you should've known better. You turn back around and head back to the cabins to hurry and make the chance.

X

Annie hated herself for what she had done but it was the best option to keep you safe. You would hate her and want nothing to do with her so it would make the others see that you weren't her weakness. You weren't going to get hurt and that's what brought her comfort despite her heart aching for you.