edge of great

lost

***

"We visited you at the hospital.", Madi suddenly blurted out after we talked about what I've missed in her life. I turned my head, looking into her eyes. "Devon, Sav, Owen and I.", she explained. "We were all worried after Devon called us, Owen lost his shit.", she rambled.

"You should call him, I think he would be happy to hear your voice again.", she gave me a smile.
"I'm pretty sure he hates my guts right now. I should probably avoid him at all costs.", I replied playing with my hands.

"NO! I mean no, don't you dare Em!", she yelled at first but calmed down right after, I still flinched at the nickname.

"I'm sorry.", she said, her eyebrows furrowed, she was clearly confused about my reaction. "It isn't your fault, I just-I just get flashback whenever I hear that nickname.", I told her, my hands were balled into tight fists trying to stop the memories from fucking me more up than I already was.

"Oh Em-I mean Emerson I'm so sorry!", she took me in a hug. "Stop it, you didn't know, it's fine Madi, I'm serious.", I told her giving her a fake smile.

"I need a new nickname for you then.", she grinned mischievously. "Oh god help me.", I shook my head walking ahead. "I'm telling you girl you need to talk to him, you two are so much alike in a weird way.", Madi called from behind me.

"But I'm not ready to lose him yet.", I whispered to myself.

"We'll see.", I only said.

***

"Young lady, you will listen to me! You will cancel your apartment contract. I honestly don't care you can either stay with us or look for another apartment but I don't want you to stay there.", Phoebe gave me her second speech today, the first one was about me looking like a wreck and how she almost thought I was a burglar, I-yes I can't with this woman either.

"My apartment is fine Phoebe, really.", I pressed, not in the mood to look for another apartment even if I actually dreaded to visit my apartment again. She was right, it will never be the same. I can't live there feeling safe, I would always be uncomfortable, knowing that he could be there any second.

"Please think about it, George even called his friend who owns this one apartment complex that's close to yours. He has an apartment for an even cheaper price than yours, it's about the same size as yours also. With a bedroom, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom.", she listed, giving George a flick on the head. "What? Ah...yes Emerson, look I even have the pictures ready so you can take a look.", George coughed awkwardly walking up to me, handing me the tablet.

"Take a look sweetie.", Phoebe gave me a nudge, staring at her husband who was still clueless as ever. "George honey, let's go.", she gave him a killer stare making him jump up immediately.

Poor George.

I took a look at the pictures, actually taking a liking in the apartment. Maybe Phoebe's right. I have to move.

And also...

Phoebe's always right.

***

"My mom is so persuasive it's insane!", Dev laughed as we drove to my old apartment to pack all my stuff. Phoebe insisted to get them instead but I wanted to pack it up myself, I need to go there one last time.

"I can't believe she got George to talk to his friend making it even possible to move in this Monday! It's fucking Friday!", I said wide eyed, a laugh escaping her lips. "My mom is scary."

"That indeed she is.", I commented chuckling lightly.

"Hey, will you be okay though?", Dev asked slowly. "I'll be fine.", I said, my thumb hovering over Owen's contact. "Then let's go, we're here.", she said.

When did that happen?

We took the empty boxes upstairs, my apartment manager was kind enough to help us bring the boxes back in the car later. With a shaky hand I opened the new door of my old apartment with the new keys the manager had given me just minutes ago.

Everything was just how I left it, a sweater of him laying on the couch, the half of my closet was filled with his clothes.

Well, there's one thing I know for sure...
I will need new clothes as soon as possible.

I won't be able to wear any of these clothes anymore, it's a disgusting memory reminding me of him.
He's like a fucking plague, everywhere!

With a heavy heart and a determined mindset, I only packed my necessities. It turned out it was only four boxes and two of those four are kitchen and bathroom necessities. We still packed the rest of my stuff but gave it all away to charity in the end. My heart felt a little more free and my mood was better than ever after all that.

"So uh I need new clothes and other stuff, you wanna go shopping?", I asked after we put the boxes in George's garage. "Hun in my mind we're already at the mall! You don't even know how excited I am! It's that time of the year where it's you that asks me to go shopping! I FUCKING LOVE IT! No grumpy Emmie that gives up after the first shop no-uh!", she squealed happily, skipping to her car. I shook my head with a small smile on my face and entered the passenger seat.

After all, I was excited about it too.

What?

You can't blame a girl who loves clothes!

Here's to a new me, hopefully.

***

don't worry Owen's coming in the next chapter,
I just need it all to make sense first,
after all shes the main character👀
hiiii guys,
I hope you're doing great!
I'm sorry for not updating sooner,
my muscles in my legs are being a bitch rn
so I'm not feeling very well
but magnesium is my white knight
(see what I did there? yeah I have issues)
ANYWHORE
vote & comment,
lots of love,
stay healthy🌙