Chapter 8: Recovery and Sick

Zach's POV

After going home from med bay, I was just laying on my bed breathing through my nasal cannula. My left arm is up on a sling just to help heal up my dislocated shoulder. My boyfriend was next to me throughout the recovery. He tried to put me to sleep even though I'm not able to after the battle and after getting injured.

Ryan L: Zach, you need to go to sleep. Your shoulder also needs rest too.

Zach: I can't sleep, Ryan. (Coughs)

Ryan felt my forehead to check for fever. It turns out I got sick after the battle and my chest is tightening as usual. I had to rely on my breathing tube just to breathe normally.

Ryan L: You have a fever. You must've gotten sick after the battle. And your cheeks are rosier than usual.

Zach: Ryan, stop it.

Ryan L: I need to talk to Brad about your condition. You need to sleep. So that your healing powers could do their thing.

Zach: Okay.

Ryan tucked me in and I fell asleep. Hoping that I could get better tomorrow so that I could be able to go to secondary school. Or I could go to future battles. Because I don't like getting sick, it might drop my lung capacity severely. It's already low and I don't want it to get lower.

Brad's POV

I was about to take off my nasal cannula just to get myself ready for bed when somebody knocked on the door. I opened it and it was Ryan. He seems to be worried about his boyfriend, Zach. I think he got something worse than a partially dislocated shoulder.

Brad: Ryan, what's up?

Ryan L: Zach's sick.

Brad: Like how sick?

Ryan L: He's getting a fever and his breathing is getting raspier than usual.

Brad: Well, seeing a cystic fibrosis patient sick is frightening. But because Zach's lung capacity is so low, his illness would make his condition worse. Like if he gets the flu, he would rapidly deteriorate. That's one of the most frightening thing as a CF patient myself.

Ryan L: Can you please help him?

Brad: I'll do anything I can.

I followed Ryan to his room where Zach is sleeping but his breathing seemed to be ragged. I had to wake him up so that I could check on him because his health is more important right now. At first, he was injured after the battle and now he got sick. Not to the point where he has to go to intensive care.

Brad: Zach, wake up, lad.

Zach: Brad?

Brad: You alright?

Zach: Not feeling great.

Brad: I know, Ryan told me how you're feeling. How's your shoulder, by the way?

Zach: It's feeling a bit better.

Brad: Good.

Zach: I feel a bit crappy.

Brad: I know. I remembered always feeling like crap whenever I feel sick but I have healing powers so I get better afterwards.

Ryan L: It's cuz you have a better lung capacity than the 2 of us.

Brad: How about this, we'll just inject some medicine intravenously but through a port put in your chest. Or a PICC line in case you have one.

Zach: Oh, I have a port inserted in my chest.