33

" Jeno, do you think you can do the mind probing?" Renjun asked

" Jeno, do you think you can do the mind probing?" Renjun asked. " It's probably the best way since she can't remember."

The boy seated at the front seemed hesitant, as if unsure about his on abilities. " I guess I can do it, and only if Chaeyoung allows me to," he answered, straining his neck to turn his head and look towards Chaeyoung's direction.

She just shrugged, not even sure what they were talking about.

" Mind probing is when Jeno enters your mind and so called 'look around' to find the important information we need," Jaemin explained, sensing the girl's confusion from beside her. " It's a very quick process unless he need to dig deeper to find it."

" Is it painful?"
" Oh, it's not painful for you, it's painful for me,"Jeno said as he shuddered slightly to emphasise his point.

" Then I guess we should try that," Chaeyoung said. It was the least she could do for being useless, a whole rhyme pointing at her yet she couldn't figure out what a single thing meant - pathetic, she thought.

" Then we'll do it later at the base," Jaemin finalised, sneaking a glance at the girl who seemed to be deep in thought. Her eyebrows furrowed, her chin placed on her palm while her eyes seemed to be staring off into space.

" Can we do it at night, I need to be mentally prepared," Jeno spoke, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. The rest just nodded, it wasn't like they knew how it was like anyways.

The rest of the ride was quiet, a comfortable silence engulfing them. Jaemin had his ear piece playing music in his ear while he watched trees and buildings past them - secretly glancing at Chaeyoung from time to time.

The girl remained deep in thought, many questions flooding in her head wanting to be blurted out and answered but she held them in, leaving them unanswered.

By the time they had reached the base Chaeyoung finished her mental debate, somehow taking a long time to decide upon yet still unsure of her decision.

They got out of the car one by one before walking back into the base again and heading back to their separate rooms to rest. Chaeyoung walked slowly behind them, not even realising the fact that they were already gone until she bumped into a hard back. " O-oh oops," she said, raising a hand to rub her cheek to ease the slight pain.

" Are you okay?" Jaemin asked softly, a hint of concern in his voice, but it was so slight that Chaeyoung thought it was just her imagination.

" Yeah, I'm fine."
" Come on angel, follow me," he said, gesturing for her to come as he held the door open for her. " After you."

She shyly walked in, eyes looking everywhere but the boy. " So, now what?"

" I said we'll talk about it didn't I?" he answers, walking to his room casually which wasn't that far from the garage. Chaeyoung's eyes widened as she remembered what happened back in the room, but her mind had long forgotten what she was sad about.

She awkwardly stepped inside, the room seeming more familiar to her than it should be - like an indication that she had been there way too many times such that she remembered every detail inside.

Jaemin sat on the bean bag at the corner of the room while Chaeyoung sat on the carpet in front of him. She brought her knees close to her, wrapping herself up in a ball. The dim room lit by the electric blue LED lights just like how she remembered it was the last time she came.

Jaemin studied her as she awed over the lights, as if it was her first time there. His eyes ran over her figure, her dress still on her but looked more wrinkled than before, hair messed up which gave him a temptation to run his fingers through it in order to smooth it.

After a few minutes, Jaemin cleared his throat. " So...?" He trailed off, eyeing the girl which looked at him confused. " The Jaemin is here to give advise or whatever you want so would you like to talk about it?" He said, trying to ease the atmosphere.

" Oh, right," she said in realisation, fiddling with her fingers awkwardly. " I actually forgot what it was about so..." she quietly said, not daring to glance up into his eyes. " But I do have a question."

" Shoot."
" Why would the mind probing be painful for Jeno or why was he so hesitant? Its not like the probe would cause him death, right?" Chaeyoung inquired.

The question made colour drain out of Jaemin's face, not expecting such a question from the girl. " Oh." That was the only word he was able to utter out. His face grew pale that even Chaeyoung was able to tell below the dim lights. His reaction made her more desperate; desperate for answers.

" He won't die, right?" She questioned, as if begging the boy to reassure her.

" No," he said, and that was all was needed for Chaeyoung to heave a sigh of relief and feel somewhat at ease. However, that wouldn't explain his pale face and trembling of hand, as if he had encountered a ghost just by the question.

" Then why?" She said, feeling left in the dark by the boy.

" Its not death, it's actually worst," He started, raking his fingers through his hair as he tried to erase the possibilities of it happening - something that all the members had tried to stop thinking about too.

" Then, what?"
" He might get lost in your mind and lose his sanity."

tbh i use too much dialogue,, i'll stop 😸