36

The air grew heavy and cold, goosebumps waking from their sleep

The air grew heavy and cold, goosebumps waking from their sleep. Silence filled the air, no one knowing what to say in response.

Chaeyoung just sat on the chair, frozen. Her throat felt itchy, biting her lip as she pondered over what the blue haired boy had said. It can't be true, can it? she thought. Her mother shouldn't have such powers - even though it would make sense why she had it too.

The memory of her mother's frail and weak body seemed to feel like a distant memory, the way her mother languidly raised her hands just to place it on top of her tiny ones. How can one be so weak due to cancer but still hold that much power - it just didn't seem right.

" Did you find out where the vault is?" Jaemin asked, breaking the silence. A question that they should have asked in the first place.

" Um yeah, kinda? It was in a room which I assume would be at Chaeyoung's old house cause her mother was still there," Jeno responds, sounding unsure, the memory engraved into his mind yet he didn't know how to say nor describe it. " But I don't think it would still exist up till now, right?"

" I think it does exist since the skulls are after it so it's probably still there," Renjun voiced out.

Everyone hummed in agreement, except for Chaeyoung who still sat there, numb and empty. Her mind occupied with millions of thoughts, running over the possibilities of her mother acting like she was sick. Did she really see her body when her mother was dead? Thoughts whirled around her mind, trying to dig out any memory of her mother's body but she felt like there was just none.

Maybe it was just at that moment when she couldn't think properly with her rapid heart and heavy breathing, the visible panic plastered all over her face as her ears started ringing. She brought her knees to her chest as she felt herself going crazy, tears flowed out of her eyes as whimpers left her lips.

Concern bloomed in Jaemin, immediately rushing over to the panic-stricken girl, pulling her into his embrace without a second thought. He placed a hand on her back, bringing it under her shirt before drawing circles on her bare skin. " Shh, angel, it's okay, it might not be your mom but someone else instead, Jeno doesn't know how your mom looks after all," he whispers into her ear, using his other hand to tuck her loose strands of hair behind her ear in order to see her face clearer.

For some reason Jaemin felt responsible for her cries, as if it was gnawing at his heart mercilessly, feeling emotionally connected to her cries.

" C-can y-you confirm it? A-are you s-sure it was my mom?" Chaeyoung chokes out, desperate sobs leaving her lips as she stared up at the guilty boy.

" I'm not sure but you did call her 'momma' so I guess it is?" He answers, diverting his eyes somewhere else other than the sight of the broken girl.

Jaemin heaved a sigh, pulling a hand back to massage his temples while his other hand continued to draw circles on her back - which did somewhat calmed her down, focusing on the way his thumb moved steadily which steadied her heart at the same time.