Epilogue: Part 42

29 August, 2014. I needed to go to Hogwarts ahead of the first day festivities; had to prepare myself for being there again, and I needed to ask the Headmistress a very important question about the decor.

When I arrived in the courtyard, Neville was there to meet me. "Oi Mary.."

"Hi Neville.. it looks different. Fixed itself?" I asked, looking up at the grand castle.

"Yup, biggest was a few months after the battle. Few other times since then."

"Wicked." I swallowed hard, and Neville offered me his arm. We walked in, and looked around a bit— I hadn't even thought about this place in 15 years.

After we explored a bit, we made it back to the Great Hall. I stopped before Neville asked me, "alright Mary?"

"Yeah.. just having a bit of a flash." I closed my eyes, and I was back at that day, the day time stood still. "Let's go.." I took a deep breathe and we walked in. It looked the same as I remembered it, seemed to be the only part of the castle that reminded the same after it fixed itself. "So this is my plan Nev.."

I told him how I wanted to gather portraits of the people we lost during the battle. Our friends and loved ones. I was even going to include Dumbledore.. and Snape since he was kind of important too. I wanted the students to know who we lost, I wanted my kids to know who we lost, and what we fought for. What they all died for.

"Mary, that's a brilliant idea! McGonegall will love that!"

"Ya think?!"

"Of course! She's here, let's go ask her!"

He led me away from the Great Hall and towards the headmistress's office. "Quivering Quails," Neville recited as we entered the elevator.

"Oh, that's a new one!" I chuckled.

When we got off the elevator, I looked around the newly changed office, and smiled. It was much brighter than what I remember, the portraits were brighter too.. of old headmasters that came before McGonegall. She was sitting at the desk, looking older and tired, but just as elegant as I remember.

"Headmistress?" Neville asked.

"Yes, Professor Longbottom?" She asked back, then looked up. "Oh! Mary! Wonderful to see you dear!" She stood up and approached me with her arms out. "Sorry I couldn't make it to the wedding, dear."

"Oh Professor! It's alright.. I hope you're feeling better! We got your present, it's absolutely beautiful.. thank you so much!" I said as I hugged her tight.

She gifted George and me a beautiful, enlarged photograph: the members of Dumbledore's Army while in school, everyone was in light and the background was greyed out. She wrote a personal message in the corner too. I dunno how she did it, but it's.. Stunning. It's hanging in our room.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Mary has somethin' ta ask ya," Neville said.

"Oh yes! Thanks Nev! Professor... Headmistress rather, I have an idea I wanted to run by you."

I told McGonegall how I wanted to gather portraits of the people we lost during the battle and hang them in the Great Hall. Portraits of our friends and loved ones. Even Dumbledore.. and Snape since he was important actually. I told her how I wanted the students to know who we lost, I wanted my kids to know who we lost, and what we fought for. What they all died for.

"Professor Weasley, that's a wonderful idea!" She smiled warmly.

"Really? Excellent!" I smiled back, acknowledging the 'Weasley.' "I'll take care of the portraits! I plan to bring them up at the feast as well... if that's okay!" I added.

"Wonderful! See you at the welcome feast!"

Neville and I left her office and headed back down toward the courtyard.