Chapter 11: Christmas At The Burrow

It was Christmas break of my third year. Fred and I had been a couple for over a year.

Everything was different, yet nothing was. I was 14, nearly peek teenage years. Fred (and George) would be 16, 1 April that following spring. The twins' birthday being on 1 April- I always thought this was superbly fitting for them. Prank Day, as everyone in the Weasley house referred to it as.

During the term, I was with the lot in Divinations class, when professor Trewlany insulted Hermione.

I brought that up to her over the break, I really just wanted to know where the bloody hell she came from since she seemed to always just appear in that class.

"Hermione," I started.

"If you're planning to ask about Divinations, don't," she said sternly.

"Bummer. Sore subject I reckon," wincing at Ron. "I just wanted to say I was on her side. That was super dodgy."

"Oh," Hermione chimed back in. "Thanks."

"Foods ready!" Mrs. Weasley shouted.

"Hermione dear, are you staying, or do you have to go?"

"I can stay till the morn," she replied.

"Good."

"And we know that Mary will be with us until the start of spring term," she smiled.

I did not, I blushed. "Happy to have you dear, always," she said before coming over and kissing the top of my head. I loved when the Weasleys did that. "Lunch, then gifts!"

Christmas at the burrow was one of my absolute favorite things ever. Mrs. Weasley hand-made all of the family's gifts, and since she now considers me part of the family, she made mine too! I gave her and Arthur a picture that I drew of their children; George new quidditch gloves; Freddie more socks, since I always stole his; Ginny a book on famous female quidditch players; Hermione a new hairbrush; Harry and Ron got wand cases.

"Fred, George! Here are you!" she yelled with enthusiasm.

"Thanks mum!" they replied in unison.

"Ginny dear, you're next," she smiled at her daughter. Each of them pulled out personalized sweaters and scarfs.

"Ah, Mary! Here you go dear," she said as she handed me a beautifully hand-wrapped gift.

When I opened it, I beamed. "Mittens!" I had a huge smile on my face. "Thank you Mrs. Weasley! They're lovely," I felt myself starting to tear up. Blue and black mittens, perfectly imperfect.

"You're welcome dear," she replied warmly.

"Ya know love," Fred whispered to me. "You don' have to wear them."

"Are you kidding, Freddie? I love them!" I replied. "I'm always absolutely freezing in Transfigurations.. and I told your mum. But I didn't expect her to make anything for me,"
I smiled in her direction as I put the mittens on.

While everyone was taking their post-lunch naps, Fred and I cuddled on the couch. We had to be careful since Mrs. Weasley wasn't particularly fond of snogging in her house— I had my head on his shoulder and he was rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

"Mary," he said with a certain tone that I couldn't quite figure out.

"Yes love?" I responded, moving my head from his shoulder.

He just looked at me, and smiled. And then it happened.

"I love you.."

Silence.

There was panic in the air. "I'm sorry! If you're not ready I understand! I know what I feel for you, and it's love! I'm not too young...and..."

"I love you too..." Fred answered with a relieved smile.

"Do you?!" I questioned.

"Very much!" he replied.

A smile filled my face. "I'm sorry. I just couldn't hold it in anymore!" I felt myself blushing.

"I know Mary.. I'm happy you said it! I don' think we're too young. I love you too!" he continued to smile and pulled me back toward him.

At that moment, we did start to snog a bit. But stopped before we really got started as we heard someone start to come down the stairs. It was George, he must've woken up from his nap.

"Afternooon," chuckled George as he saw us.

"Piss off," Fred replied, annoyed.

"Frederick!" I snapped.

"Sorry love." He blew me a kiss.

"Oi. Just saying hello!" George winked.

"Everyone else still asleep?" I quipped.

"I reckon," George replied while making himself a spot of tea. He then proceeded to make himself a spot between Fred and I on the couch. Fred was visibly annoyed, I was laughing.

They told me how they gave Harry their prized Marauders Map— the key to their successful pranks at school. Shortly after, the rest of the family began to wake up and filter downstairs. George got up. Fred kissed my lips and then put George in a headlock.

Few days later, we all headed back to school.

The rest of my third year seemed to fly by. I had the typical classes, spent a lot of time with Luna and the girls, Fred and George as well. George actually admitted that I was one of his best friends, though it was never out-loud. Ginny and I also became closer, which means I also got to know Nevil Longbottom- he was friends with Ginny and Luna too. He was a shy bloke, but braver than he knew. And smart. I hoped that he would see that one day.

After learning that Harry and Hermione used a bloody time turner to change the corse of time to save Harry's Godfather, Sirius Black, and one of my favorite creatures, Buckbeak the Hippogriff, my opinion changed on them. I used to think the twins fancied Hermione, they didn't. They were friends. I used to think that Harry was bit of a tosser. He wasn't, I was. That was genius.

From then on, I was determined to be by their side if they ever needed the help.