Epilogue: Part 47

The headmistress gestured toward me and I walked to the podium. I straightened out the parchment I brought. I glanced down at it, and took a deep breath. I started my speech:

'Welcome to all the first years, and welcome back to the others! As you might have noticed, returning students, we have more decor this year. I wanted to introduce you to some very important people. As you may or may not know, this year marks a very important anniversary- 15 years since the Battle of Hogwarts. I do hope your parents told you about it...'

I paused and looked around, mostly all the students shook their heads 'yes.'

'Good. It's been 15 years since I, a lot of your parents, and the other professors behind me, lost people we loved. Brave, strong people. Given this year, I thought it was of great importance for you all to know them.'

As I gestured toward the portraits, they all woke up and started to move into view again. I smirked at the audible gasps I heard from students.

I walked to the first portrait, and waited for the students to calm down. I smiled at Lavender, who was first. She smiled back.

'Students, first up.. is Lavender Brown. She was 18 when she was killed during the battle. She was a Gryffindor, and even tough she and I didn't get along at first, she was a fierce member of Dumbledore's Army— the society Harry Potter started while at school; his fifth year. Professor Longbottom and I took over as leaders, during our seventh year— Dumbledore's Army Second Generation, she joined us then. She was killed by werewolf and Death Eater, Finir Greyback. She was saved from further suffering by Hermione Granger. Lavender died a hero and she is missed.' She blew me a kiss as I moved to the next. I was nearing tears already.

'Next, Nymphadora Tonks. But everyone called her Tonks..' I chuckled. 'She was a Hufflepuff, and a metamorphagus— she was able to transform her appearance at will. She was killed by infamous Death Eater, Bellatrix Leastrange. Tonks was a loyal member of The Order of the Phoenix. She was a mother, and fierce friend. She died a hero, next to her loving husband...'

I moved to Remus. 'Remus Lupin. Remus was once a professor at Hogwarts, one of my favorites. He was a loyal friend to Harry Potter, and his parents, and a loyal member of The Order. He was a loving father, and husband. He was killed defending his wife. They are missed.' I felt tears coming, as I looked at Teddy Lupin, their son, sitting with his fellow Hufflepuff's.

I moved onto Colin, 'this is Colin Creevy. He was only 17 when he was killed during the battle. He was a loyal member of Dumbledore's Army and, DA-Second Generation. Fierce believer in Harry Potter. He was killed by.. a falling piece of the castle as he was running to help other students.' I paused again, and sniffed to hold back tears.

Fred was next. I looked out towards the students, they were transfixed by what I was saying. I caught a glimpse of the entrance to the Great Hall.. George and Ron stood in the doorway with encouraging smiles. I took a deep breath and moved to Fred.

'Next, Fred Weasley. Fred was 20 years old when he was killed in an explosion caused by Death Eater Augustus Rookwood during the battle. He left behind, his best friend and twin brother.. my husband, George. His three older brothers, younger sister, and other best friend, his younger brother Ron. When we were in school, Fred and I dated for five years. I saw the explosion that killed him. It was the worst day..' I paused to let the tears fall. Neville came over and rubbed my back. I sniffed. 'Fred died a hero. He died loving life. He encouraged me to love again. He is greatly missed. But his name lives on..' I pointed at Fred II, he smiled back.

I moved on, once I got my tears stopped.

'Severus Snape... one time professor, and Headmaster. He died in defiance of Voldemort. He died a loyalist to Dumbledore, not a Death Eater. He died for the cause, a cause he once detested. He died a defender of the cause..'

'Last, but not least.. Albus Dumbledore. Former Headmaster of Hogwarts. He was killed in 1997, by death eaters on school grounds. Though he was not killed during the battle, we all thought it was of importance that he be immortalized here too. His death solidified the start of the second wizarding war.'

I walked to the last painting on the wall. 'This last portrait is empty. I know that. It says The Fallen Fifty on the nameplate. We lost 50 other people during the battle, 50 people who were not identified.' I walked towards the front of the stage, 'Everyone up there died for a cause. For love, for Harry, for Dumbledore, for me, for Professor Longbottom, for the future! For all of you! None of us.. none of you, would be here without their sacrifice! It's of utmost importance you realize this! Thank you for time, and enjoy your year.'

I sat down next to Neville at the long professors table. I felt my tears fall again.

I saw George and Ron sneak away after George blew me a kiss.

Neville was crying too, "brilliant Mary!"

"Thank you Neville." I smiled gently.

"Thank you, Professor Weasley. We all need to be reminded of them more often, I too miss them," McGonegall smiled as she addressed the crowed. "Enjoy the feast!"