Chapter 8: 2nd Year Approaches

That summer, everything changed. My mum had been writing to me, and in one of her letters, she expressed her anxiousness over the break. She wanted me to come home of course, but would her stress pass onto me? That's what she was afraid of. She was in the process of moving out, and didn't want me more stressed out than I had to be. But where would I go?

Fred was walking by the Ravenclaw common room just as I emerged, with what must have been a look of pure anguish.

"Mary, we alright?" he asked.

"I don't think so, Freddie.." I was trying not to show my sadness. He waited for me to continue.

"My mum is moving out from my dad. And while she misses me terribly, she knows how stressed out I get about certain things. And well, she doesn' wan' me to be stressed out at home. So I don't think I'll be going home this summer..." I could no longer stall my tears.

Luckily, Fred was there to console me. "Ah, bugger Mary. That's awful!" He said as he wrapped me tighter in his embrace.

"I just have a lot to figure out over these next few weeks," I said wiping the tears away.

Fred grabbed my chin, "I'll be right back. Don't go too far." He ran into the Gryffindor common room. I sat down on a bench inbetween our common rooms and waited. 

Several minutes later, Fred, George, their older brother Percy, and Ron all emerged from their shared house dorm. Ron looked particularly bruised when I saw him, probably from all that ruckus I heard him and Harry started a few months back. 

"Mary," Fred said gesturing toward his brothers. "We talked, and well, as soon as we clear it with mum, we'd love to have you stay with us this summer.." they all smiled, waiting for my response.

"Really??" I was floored, and they must have seen it in my face.

"Yep, just gotta wait to see if mum clears it," Percy said.

"She's really welcomin' though! Shouldn' be a problem," chimed in George, elbowing Percy.

"We just sent her an owl, so hopefully she gets it tonight and then she'll reply straight away," quipped Ron.

"You boys are all the best, I cannot thank you enough!" I responded wiping away tears. I began to hug them all one by one, holding onto Fred the longest.

Summer finally came, and I prepared to head to the Weasley home, 'The Burrow' as they lovingly referred to it. I could hardly contain my excitement. I was only 12, and already spending all this time with the boy I liked. I blushed at the thought.

"Hello you lot!" waved a fun looking man, with red hair and worn clothes. He was waiting for us in Diagon Alley. "Ah, you must be Mary!" he exclaimed.

"Yes sir," I responded, shaking his hand. He then grabbed my shoulders, "we are very happy to have you join us this summer. Don't be bashful!" said Arthur Weasley, the patriarch of the family. He was a really lovely man. I grew quite fond of him.

Mrs. Weasley was one of the nicest people I'd ever meet. Kind and warm, loving and motherly. She and I would grow extremely close.

Over the summer, the Weasley's showed me how they had fun. It was one of the best summers I've had. Harry was there too, and it allowed us to get closer. Spending the summer there also allowed me to get to know the boys' sister, Ginny.

The days passed and before we knew it, it was September again. Soon time to head back to school, and start my second year.